Views
Helpful
Replies

Ospf default route.

shrikar.dange
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

A very basic question.I know ospf dont generate a defualt route unless we specify the deault information originate command. I would like to know the reason behind such behaviour. Though I have a default route and redistribute static routes to ospf process the default route doesn't appear in routing table without default originate command. Any specific reason for such behaviour?

4 Replies 4

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I know how to inject the default route in an ospf area. I need the explanation for this behaviour of an ospf router:

The OSPF router does not, by default, (even after redistributing static routes)generate a default route into the OSPF domain.

My question is if I am using a staically configured default route and redistributing the static routes in an ospf process, the default route will not be advertised to other ospf neighbors untill and unless I use the default information originate command. Why is it so?

regards,

shri :)

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The simple reason is to allow you to determine whether you want the default route to be advertised to your routers or not. If you had a network that all destinations were known, not advertising a default would allow the gateway router to drop traffic with an unknown address without forwarding it. If you had an Internet connection, now you'll likely want your internal routers to forward traffic with unknown addresses toward it.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the reply.

Ohhh....Is it that simple? :) :)

I was looking for some complicated/technical reason :)

regards,

shri

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: