cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AUTO RP

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

i am having GSR which is gettnig the Auto-rp information. With this GSR a 7600 router is connected and that 7600 is not getting RP information. Can anyone help me.

sparse-dense-mode i am using.

regards

shivlu

13 Replies 13

lee.reade
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

This could be an RPF failure, ie the best path to the RP Mapping host, is not via your GSR.

Is the RP the MAP agent also?

On the 7600, you can turn on debug ip mpacket to see RPF checks etc, you will need to disable mroute fast switching on the incoming interface, via no ip mroute-cache.

You can also use "show ip pim auto rp" which should tell you the counts for RP info being sent and received.

Try the debug mpacket and see what it says.

HTH

LR

Hi

But it is the best path and in show ip pim auto-rp I am getting auto-rp is enabled only. Counts are 0. I will send the debug output by tomorrow.

regards

shivlu

Shivlu,

You need to configure "ip pim sparse-dense-dense" on the interfaces or configure "ip pim autorp listener" in global configuration mode in order for auto-rp announce and discovery groups to be propagated.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Hritter

You are very much right, as per my knowledge ip pim auto-rp lister is required when we use sparse-mode. But my backhaul is using sparse-dense mode, so there is no need for the ip im auto-rp lister. Please correct me if I am wrong.

regards

shivlu

Shivlu,

You are correct. You need one or the other. Configuring sparse-dense in yourr case should do it.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

hi

In the debug mpacket I am not getting anything. Auto rp counts it is showing 0.

regards

shivlu

hi

On 7609 I have disabled ip multicast-routing, but still I am getting the auto-rp is enabled. Not able to understand. Can any support for this ?

regards

shivlu

I got the given errors

003737: Aug 7 12:03:48.546 IST: IP(0): MAC sa=**Unknown SNPA type** (Loopback123)

003738: Aug 7 12:03:48.546 IST: IP(0): IP tos=0x0, len=100, id=11, ttl=254, prot=1

003739: Aug 7 12:03:48.546 IST: IP(0): s=10.255.250.1 (Loopback123) d=224.1.0.39 (GigabitEthernet4/1) id=11, ttl=254, prot=1, len=100(100), mforward.

regards

shivlu

Hi,

Where are you getting this debug from? The problem router? This is the RP announce info, ie this is sourced from the device you have configured for RP.

You will be looking for the traffic to 224.1.0.40 to sent to your 7200 router, as this is from the RP MAP router.

I assume you have pim adj's with upstream router?

What does "show ip mroute 224.1.0.40" reveal on the upstream router? It should show the outgoing interface as that connected to the downstream router.

HTH

LR

HI

I am getting the above mentioned errors on my 7600 router. In show ip mroute I am getting only one enrty with incoming interface is null and in OIL I am getting the wan interface which is actually the PIM neighbors. Not able to undertand the problem.

So now i did one thing I announced this router as auro rp as well as mapping agent and the information is flooding to my whole network except onw router that is also some my tier2 pop and 7600 router. Then i create a acl on that Tier2 router and announce that router as RP and mapping agent for another group as soon as I did, That tier 2 router got all the RP details of my previous 7600 router.

regards

shivlu

Hi,

Sorry, were you asking another question there?

Do the show ip mroute 224.1.0.40 on the GSR that connects to the 7600, is the interface that leads to 7600 on the OIL?

HTH

LR

Hi

No it is not in the list.

regards

shivlu

Hi,

This interface needs to be in the OIL for the 7600 to learn the RP address.

Can you enable "debug ip pim 224.1.0.40" on GSR and 7600, then clear the mroute for 224.1.0.40 on both GSR and 7600.

The interface from GSR-7600 is definately configured for sparse-dense? and adj is up?

HTH

LR

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: