cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate-Limit BRI

jasonviar
Level 1
Level 1

I was working with a co-worker who was seeing FTP choke the B channel when a remote router was on ISDN. Normally we use rate-limit on the frame-relay PVC's, which works great, but when I configured it on the BRI0/0/0 interface, I was not seeing hits on the ACL. Is rate-limit supported on BRI interfaces?

11 Replies 11

Pravin Phadte
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Can you paste the configs if possible for bri and rate limits on the interface.

regards,

pravin

ip access-list standard 150

permit tcp any any eq 1364

permit tcp any eq 1364 any

int bri0/0/0

rate-limit output access-group 151 96000 12000 12000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

Sorry, the access-list and group are 151

Hi you dont need an acl for the interface

rate-limit output 96000 12000 12000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

as per you configs you need to set the rate limit for 96 kilo bits and drop after 96 kbits ?

Thats whats the rate limit calculation is for the config.

Let me know what bw you want to configure/

Regards,

Pravin

Previn,

Thanks for the quick response! We are using the ACL to only rate-limit certain traffic (port 1364), therefore not starving other application traffic. We use it on frame-relay pvc's and it works great. Just trying to figure out why when I do a show interface bri0/0/0 rate-limit, no traffic is being rate-limited, but the B-channels will have 225/255 rx load?

Jason

Hi,

Is it possible to provide the output of the interface for all bri you have and the configs for the same.

Regards,

Pravin

At this point we are back on the frame-relay connection, so show output wouldn't be helpful. Here's the interface config.

interface BRI0/0/0

description Circuit ID and Carrier

bandwidth 30

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

ip accounting output-packets

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly

rate-limit output access-group 151 96000 12000 12000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

encapsulation ppp

no ip mroute-cache

dialer idle-timeout 300

dialer map ip x.x.x.x name name broadcast xxxxxxxxxxx

dialer map ip x.x.x.x name name broadcast xxxxxxxxxxxx

dialer load-threshold 4 outbound

dialer watch-group 8

dialer-group 1

isdn switch-type basic-ni

isdn point-to-point-setup

isdn spid1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx

isdn spid2 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx

no cdp enable

ppp authentication chap

end

Hi,

This is the problem. bandwidth 30.

interface BRI0/0/0

description Circuit ID and Carrier

bandwidth 30

You have set the interface to calcalute the BW in kilobits.

So when you give show interface bri 0/0/0 it will calc according to the configured BW ie 30 Kb so it is showing you as 255/255.

If possible check also in the show interface bri0/0 where it shows as BW32K. Remove the command as no bandwdth 30. and you will see the output for show int bri0/0/0 as 64k or 128 not sure.

Bandwdith command is set for clocking forinterface.

Hope this helps

Regards

Pravin

We do use that for EIGRP as well, since the frame pvc's are set as having higher bandwidth. My issue is not with the 255/255, more that the rate-limit is not working during congestion time.

Hi,

Since it eigrp i feel it should be in there as per you configs.

I would also suggest you to try with the commnad "traffic-shape" since you are trying to limit the O/P traffic only this could be helpful you can also use the same acl for the command.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Pravin

Thanks again. I will look into it, but unsure why the command takes on the interface but does not work. Thanks - Jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: