Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch configuration

millenium80
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have a catalyst switch 2960, this switch will be connected to another switch from one side and to hosts from another side.

Is there a way to configure the switch in case the link between the two switches is down bring all the ports connected to the hosts down. And in case a link to a host is down don't perform any action.

Thanks in advance,

7 Replies 7

millenium80
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone advice here please

Hi

Yes you can can do it this by having redundecy between the swtiches.this is can be done by connecting one more uplink cable between two switches, thus even if one uplink fails, stilll it can be reachbel via other cable

regards

Kumar

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there a way to configure the switch in case the link between the two switches is down bring all the ports connected to the hosts down.

I'm afraid is not possible. What exactly are you trying to achieve by doing this?

__

Edison.

I have a server with NIC teaming (where the traffic will be switched from one nic to the second when the link between the host and the switch is down and not the uplink from the switch to the outside network) what i need is when the uplink is down, bring down the port connected to my server, in this case the traffic will be switched to the second NIC to the second switch.

I'm afraid you need to identify how the traffic can be switched in the server side rather than wanting a solution in the switch side.

__

Edison.

I think you could probably accomplish this via EEM scripting on the 2960.

Check out this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/release/notes/OL14630.html#wp950984

You'll want to create a TCL script to shut down the relevant interfaces, and then register it with EEM, and then register an applet with EEM to poll an SNMP OID, and run the script on a specific trigger.

Just a thought...

-Ryan

Scratch that. Upon further investigation, EEM scripting is only available on the 3560/3750 platform.

You'd have to use some sort of external utility to either log into the switch periodically and check/configure, or use SNMP to do the same. Either way, it would be an external tool, which may be of limited use if the switch uplink itself is the point of failure.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card