Views
Helpful
Replies

What smartport role for core switch to core switch trunks

bavingtonm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a few questions relating to smartport roles and with which one is correct for specific trunk links.

Question.

1. Should I modify the 2 x trunk ports between each of the 3750G Core/Dist switches?

and if so, what role will I give them, Switch or Router? (as both 3750G's cores are running L2 and L3)

2.For Trunk ports assigned to specific vlans on the 2 x 3750G's(cores), I believe these should be assigned the role of a switch, but should I select Vlan 1(default) as the Native Vlan

3. Why use smartports, what are the benefits ?

Many thanks

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

is there any point in using Smartports on them aswell?

No point.

I personally have never used Smartports and I've configured thousands of switches.

If you want to know what's in the Smartport macro, you can type the command sh parser macro and observe the syntax.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Switch Role

2. You can select any active Vlan in the switch as Native Vlan. Preferable, select a non-routable Vlan for this task. If you aren't using Vlan1 for data traffic, use it for inter-switch links in native mode.

3. Smartports allow novice admins in the Cisco world to configure ports without knowing all the necessary commands.

__

Edison.

Hi

So if I'm happy I have configured the trunks correctly via CLI is there any point in using Smartports on them aswell?

Mark

is there any point in using Smartports on them aswell?

No point.

I personally have never used Smartports and I've configured thousands of switches.

If you want to know what's in the Smartport macro, you can type the command sh parser macro and observe the syntax.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hi

My only concern now is... by selecting the trunks as smartports, it has added a number of lines to the config, as you would expect.

Do these extra features affect the operation now?

Please will you look at my original sh run from the Core/Dist switches before I added the smartport and also the sh run from after it was added. Then can you give me your opinion on what is best?

Many thanks

Mark

Yes, they do affect the operation in the switch and in the switchports.

The Smartports have enabled QoS in the switch.

For inter-switch link configuration on a switchport, the original file was sufficient with:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card