cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with Copy command

jwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue with a 3560 switch. I am trying to update the IOS, but it won't let me copy anything.

I'd try to reboot it, but I already deleted the original IOS file to make room for the new on.

I cannot copy to/from anywhere. If I try a copy run start, copy tftp flash, copy run tftp, etc. I get a message "Error Opening...(No such device)".

It seems to be only something with the copy command because a write memory works fine.

I need some serious help here... The switch is in a remote location and I do not have console access to it.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

garytayl
Level 3
Level 3

First make sure you can ping the tftp from the router also, some tftp clients do have read/write options unchecked therefore you can't do anything. Another thing, check that you have specified a valid root directory under the TFTP client, oh very important make sure TFTP is opened when you are using those commands.

I can ping to and from the switch and tftp server. I know the tftp server is working because I can connect to it from other hosts, it's just this one.

Trying to copy from FTP gives me the same error.

It seems that the copy command in general is giving me the problem.

Thanks.

If ports are not blocked, I will assume you are using the tar file to perform the upgrade but you are not using the archive download-sw command

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swiosfs.html#wp1020620

Ok, not sure what happened, but it started working again. The only thing I could think of is that a session may have been hung and was blocking the switch from using the tftp port.

I rebooted my PC (where the tftp server was running) and everything started working again.

Very strange. Thanks for the advice though.

Hi,

You need to check if you are able to get a ping reply from the tftp server. also the read write access as said above. If the TFTP server is at remote location you need to check if the tftp port is been allowed or if anyfirewall is blocking it.

if this switch which you need to upgrade the ios is connected to any switch in the network. and if the switch connected is 3560 by luck you can make the switch as tftp server and copy the ios to the new switch.

config t

#tftp server flash:......bin

Hope this helps.

Regards

Pravin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card