cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CallManager and Avaya VPN phone

corey.mckinney
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at using an Avaya VPN phone for a remote employee, simply because Cisco doesn't have one. I've figured out what needs to be done in setting up the VPN tunnel between the phone and the ASA. My question is, can the Cisco CallManager control the Avaya phone, or do I have to get a border device and an Avaya CM to make it work?

4 Replies 4

chris.mann
Level 1
Level 1

Have you looked at the IP Communicator? I have several of those working well, including over VPN connections over the internet.

I appreciate the response and I have looked into that; however, these are users that need a regular phone and not a headset with a PC.

In the past on an Avaya solution I setup a PIX 501 at the remote site, and did a VPN tunnel to a PIX 525 at the headend. That gave the IP phone the connectivity needed.

Kind of hard to travel with a PIX, but if it is for a "telecommuter" type employee, something like this that might work. I've heard of some issues with sccp surviving NAT though, so you might hit a roadblock there. Maybe worth looking at, but it was several years ago i did this, so who knows.

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

I currently using the Cisco Phone Proxy 1.0 with my 7961 Phone. I visit a web page and supply credentials and my phone can then register securely to Callmanager.

Unified Phone Proxy 1.0 is EoL/EoS and has been replaced with the ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances software version 8.0.4.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: