Views
Helpful
Replies

Nortel SIP Phone on CUCM

jeff.heckart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have recently converted a Nortel shop to Cisco CUCM 6.1(2), and have the need to register several Nortel 1140E's to CallManager.

I have searched here and googled, and am not coming up with anything. I have also added the phone's MAC as an advanced SIP endpoint, manually changed the tftp server, and it doesn't come up. I believe that it already has a SIP image.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

32 Replies 32

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

So, after a little working with this, I found that they are UNISTIM, not SIP.

They must first be upgraded to a newer release of UNISTIM, then upgraded to SIP.

My biggest problem now is getting a hold of the firmware. I'll post back how this ends up.

I finally got the firmware and was able to upgrade to SIP. I also authenticated the phone to CUCM, and am able to make calls.

we have the same issue, could you please let me know how to get the SIP firmware.

I had to get it from a Nortel vendor. I tried creating an account with Nortel, but didn't have anything associated with my Nortel account.

Jeff you seem to be about the only person that was able to get a Nortel phone to register to CM using SIP. Do you have any specifics to what you did to get this to work? I've tried it on a 6.1(3) and a 7.1(2) system and I can't get it to register. The phone is running SIP already. I see SIP messages going to CM in RTM but the phone will not register. I've tried creating the username as the extension number per some post but still no luck.

Thanks,

Hi, I know this is years old but did tiy get this working and if so how?

Regards

paul

For anyone looking for the Nortel SIP and/or Unistim firmware...  Both ARE available @ www.nortel.com and are available WITHOUT needing a registered account or even logging in as guest.  In my case, the Unistim firmware hadn't been updated on the Nortel 1140e in several years. This seems to be typical in the legacy telephone world where managed service seems to prevail & the purveyers of such subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't touch it and save us money" school of thought.

Due to this, I found it neccessary to upgrade to a current version of Unistim FIRST before I was able to do the SIP firmware load.  Both Unistim and Sip firmware updates are outlined in the documentation freely available on the Nortel site.  In addition, both can be accomplished with nothing more than a stand alone TFTP server -no Nortel server required..

Hope this helps.

-Bill

I have been able to successfully connect a Nortel 1140e SIP(Ver. 3.2) phone to callmanager 7.1.3.  Features on the phone work as I expect but, the issue I keep running into is that the call drops after about 2 mins and the phone goes through a login scrit.  While it does this, it looks like the phone is attempting to obtain a token.  Could this be something with a SIP timer in call manager?

Thanks.

Richard Hermann
Level 4
Level 4

I am really struggling to get an 1140e SIP (ver. 4.0) configured on CUCM 8.5.

You guys have some details of the technical aspects?  I am familiar with using the .cfg files with a TFTP server (I have one setup separate from CUCM's). I have created a basic and advanced SIP phone on CUCM with a digest user (using LDAP integration) and keep getting a server: 404 error on the phone.  I have tried other variations of the domain name and server info (pub then the subs).  I have also tried w/o digest authentication.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Richard - did you get anywhere with this?  We are struggling with the same 404 error you talk about...

Yes!  The name of the user must be the extension you want the phone to be. 

So, if you are not LDAP integrated, its easy.  Just create a user with a user ID that is the extension number and set the digest credentials (something easy works well, 0000).

If you are LDAP integrated, then you have to create a user in your AD with the user ID that is the extension number.  Don't worry about setting a password or anything in AD, you won't need it.  Once that's done, find the user in your Call Manager and set its digest credentials.  If you don't find the user right away, just go and run a sync in your LDAP settings and give it a couple of minutes.

And on the phone, set the domain as the publisher IP address and the S1 as the first subscriber in the Call Manager group the phone will be associated with (maybe the same, mine was different).  Then login with the extension number (user ID) and password (digest credential).

Hope that helps!

So - nortel config file wise...

The CUCM Side and AD Piece is good to go.

DNS_DOMAIN

SIP_DOMAIN1

SERVER_IP1_1

SERVER_IP1_2

SERVER_PORT1_1 5060

SERVER_RETRIES1 3

DEF_USER1 user1

VMAIL

VMAIL_DELAY 300

BANNER MCS_4.0

AUTOLOGIN_ENABLE YES

???

I got most of my guidance at this guy's site @ http://blog.michaelfmcnamara.com/2011/01/avaya-ip-1100-series-ip-phone-upgrade-to-sip/

Need two files. 

First one and name of the file has to be 1140eSIP.cfg

[FW]

DOWNLOAD_MODE AUTO

VERSION SIP1140e04.00.04.00.bin

FILENAME SIP1140e04.00.04.00.bin

PROTOCOL TFTP

#SERVER_IP 10.33.70.113

#SECURITY_MODE 0

[DEVICE_CONFIG]

DOWNLOAD_MODE FORCED

VERSION 000002

FILENAME users.dat

[DIALING_PLAN]

DOWNLOAD_MODE FORCED

VERSION 000002

FILENAME dialplan.txt

(you'll get an error about that dialplan stuff when the phone loads up, but don't worry about it)

Second one and name: users.dat

DNS_DOMAIN {your domain}

SIP_DOMAIN1 {Publisher IP}

SERVER_IP1_1 {first subscriber IP} (maybe also your publisher)

SERVER_PORT1_1 5060

SERVER_RETRIES1 3

DEF_USER1 user

AUTO_LOGIN_ENABLE YES

VMAIL 5000

VMAIL_DELAY 300

DEF_LANG English

DEF_AUDIO_QUALITY High

ENABLE_LLDP YES

ADMIN_PASSWORD 865625 (this spells UNLOCK, but not sure if you need one though)

ADMIN_PASSWORD_EXPIRY 0

# Settings to disable extended license

MAX_LOGINS 1

USB_HEADSET LOCK

EXP_MODULE_ENABLE NO

ENABLE_SERVICE_PACKAGE NO

IM_MODE DISABLED

AVAYA_AUTOMATIC_QoS NO

VQMON_PUBLISH NO

SIP_TLS_PORT 0

ENABLE_BT NO

# Enable SSH

SSH YES

SSHID admin

SSHPWD admin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: