cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6513 - sporatic ports working not working

steigja
Level 3
Level 3

Has anyone had an issue with sporatic ports working and not working on code s72033-ipservicesk9-vz.122-33.SXH2a.bin? What is the most stable ip services code currently for the 6513 sup720? We tested the cables and they are good.

3 Replies 3

Ryan Carretta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's highly unlikely that this is a software issue. What exactly do you mean by the ports are 'not working'? Do the links not come up? Is there packet loss? Etc.

One thing to check for in the event that ports won't come up is that the interface is set to auto/auto as far as duplex and speed negotiation are concerned, as without this auto mdix won't operate. In that case, you would need to ensure you are using the correct cable type (crossover or straight-through).

Wantser1981_2
Level 1
Level 1

Can you supply port numbers?

I have had a similar issue with a 16 port GBIC card. Turned out to be a hardware issue (parity error) and the card need to be replaced.

The memory allocation to the ports is assigned in blocks of four assigned horizontaly not numerically, so for instance I had an issue on 5/10, moved to 5/12 and had the same failure. 5/14 and 5/16 share the same resource so would have be unusuable also.

Andy

What Andy is describing is a port-asic error. If there is such an error, supplying the ports as well as the type of module would indeed help. In most cases of ASIC failure you should see a diagnostic failure, though I have seen some cases where that is not the case.

Another thing that bears noting is that the horizontal allocation of ASICs is not for all line cards - many SFP/GBIC based line cards use this model, but most copper-based modules have their port ASICs arranged numerically.

-Ryan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card