Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN Switch Not Responding

shazi.habib
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All;

I have a strange situation. I have a 2611XM Router which is connected to a 2950 LAN Switch Port # 1. From the LAN switch Port # 12 i ran a cross over cable and connected another 12 port 2950. I cannot ping the new 2950 although it has the same default gateway and VLAN1 is in the same subnet. If i do sh CDP neighbor i can see the switch connected and in details also shows the IP of the new switch but i cannot ping it. Any help.

6 Replies 6

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

try to make switch two default gateway switch one vlan 1 ip address !

bmbreer
Level 1
Level 1

"try to make switch two default gateway switch one vlan 1 ip address"

That is not a good solution. Switch 2's default gateway should be the router's IP address.

Please post the configs of the switches.

i have only setup the VLAN1 and the Default Gateway on both ethe switches and bothe of them have the default gateway of the Router FAST0/0. The only other command i have is port 12 of both switches which connect each other have the command "Switchport mode Trunk"

Please Help

i know its simple but sometimes simple things make problems

so have u issued the no shut under vlan 1

interface vlan 1

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

no shut

If you only have vlan 1 why do you need a trunk between the 2 ? Set it as access in vlan 1 and see if you can ping it .

bmbreer
Level 1
Level 1

If you only have one vlan then there is no need to create a trunk between the switches.

Remember that VLAN1 is the default native vlan

and the native vlan is untagged so the native vlan must match on both switches.

Again, post the configs so we don't have to do all this guessing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco