Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE Capture full size Packtes

Sbutzek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i was seeking the switch to capture full size packets on the ACE Mdule with the the capture command.

The Docs say only that the capture must be configured to jumbo-frames but i have not found how to do this.

Sven

8 Replies 8

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

To enable the packet capture function on the ACE for packet sniffing and network fault isolation, use the capture command in Exec mode. As part of the packet capture process, you specify whether to capture packets from all input interfaces or an individual VLAN interface.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/v3.00_A1/configuration/administration/guide/managesw.html#wp1035160

Hello,

i know how i enable the capture of packets, but i have no idea how i can capture the full packetsize (1500 Byte). I get only the headers (64 Byte).

Sven

The packet size is limited. There is no way to change it.

I personally recommend to use the MSFC 'monitor' command and span the tengig interface associated with the ACE module instead of using the ACE capture feature.

Gilles.

I do not agree, because in the docs i found this statement:

Note: If you enable packet capture for jumbo

packets, the ACE captures only the first 1,860 bytes of data.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/v3.00_A2/configuration/administration/guide/managesw.html#wp1029924

You are correct, admin guides states 1860 byte captures. Let research and I will post later today.

Thanks

Rob

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

CSCsd32437 was fixed in 2.1.0, so you should be able to see full packets in ACE module and ACE appliance. if you are running 2.1.0+ or 3.1.0 on the appliance.

hope this helps

Thank you very much.

Sven

This is actually not a fix but a feature request.

By design we limited the packet capture to the first 110 bytes. All A1 version will only capture the first 110 bytes.

Apparently this limitation was removed in A2.

It's good to know anyway.

G.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: