Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcast Suppresion

hello, mi question is, i have a port in state errdisable this port reach de thershold of broadcast, what happen with the traffic in the queue, is delivery ? what happen con the other port receptor if reach the threshold of broadcast go to errdisable? the command broadcast suppresion is in and out ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Uzziel,

see the link to CatOS command reference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/8.x/command/reference/set_po_r.html#wp1145223

I think it is outbound direction only as in Native IOS switches. When traffic exceeds in Native IOS during a broadcast storm we have output drops.

So I suppose that even if the OS is different the capability is the same.

However, documentation is unclear it says:

"To set broadcast, multicast, or unicast suppression for one or more ports, use the set port broadcast command. The threshold limits the backplane traffic received from the module."

this looks like inbound in order to protect the switch backplane.

If you have a lab environment I would suggest you t perform some tests.

If outbound the broadcast traffic can propagate to other ports that are not configured and also on trunks to other switches.

If inbound the port receiving the exceeding broadcast traffic is put in errdisable and the traffic stops there.

It looks like more useful inbound and this is different feature from storm-control on IOS switches.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Uzziel,

I would suggest you to use broadcast storm-control to have control on broadcast traffic without having the port in errdisable.

In fact, in errordisable the port is simply unusable and not used by the switch.

Broadcast storm-control works in output direction.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello, i need config in CAT'OS 6509 sup32 version 8.6.3 the command "set port broadcast 4/1 70% violation errdisable " mi question is the traffic broadcast when INBOUND the interface where apply the command is put in errdisable only? what happen with the traffic broadcast that continue the way a other switch by trunks ? this command is directional o bidirectional ?

Hello Uzziel,

see the link to CatOS command reference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/8.x/command/reference/set_po_r.html#wp1145223

I think it is outbound direction only as in Native IOS switches. When traffic exceeds in Native IOS during a broadcast storm we have output drops.

So I suppose that even if the OS is different the capability is the same.

However, documentation is unclear it says:

"To set broadcast, multicast, or unicast suppression for one or more ports, use the set port broadcast command. The threshold limits the backplane traffic received from the module."

this looks like inbound in order to protect the switch backplane.

If you have a lab environment I would suggest you t perform some tests.

If outbound the broadcast traffic can propagate to other ports that are not configured and also on trunks to other switches.

If inbound the port receiving the exceeding broadcast traffic is put in errdisable and the traffic stops there.

It looks like more useful inbound and this is different feature from storm-control on IOS switches.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card