Configure Multiple Encryption Methods

Unanswered Question
Aug 6th, 2008

Situation: We are migrating users connecting to our AP1242AG's via WEP to WPA2. We would like to do this with minimal impact to customers.

Problem: I have configured one of the AP's with 2 SSID's. 1 using WPA2, and the other using WEP. I am able to authenticate and pull a DHCP address (handled by external server) when using WPA2. I am able to authenticate using WEP, but I do not pull a DHCP address.

Question: Is it possible to configure a 1242 for 2 types of encryption, and if so, how is this accomplished?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
alraycisco Wed, 08/06/2008 - 12:59

I would have thought the above would work, however, since it clearly doesn't, I think you would need to use VLAN's.

So you would create 2 VLANs. Once they have been created you would then define security settings for each VLAN under 'Security > Encryption Manager'. You would then create the SSID's and assign each one to a VLAN.

For this to work though, you need a trunk link between your access point and your switch and your switch needs to also be configured with the necessary VLANs.

rhobab Thu, 08/07/2008 - 08:06

When you have diferent types of encryption you have to have different SSIDs which implicate the use of diferent VLANs since encryption is at VLAN level.

voxeocary Fri, 08/08/2008 - 09:11

Would it be possible to use 1 encryption method per radio (1242AG) to avoid having to use multiple vlans?

rhobab Mon, 08/11/2008 - 00:42

I'm not sure of that. I think not but it is worth a try!

This Discussion