Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS config assistance

cris_jimenez
Level 2
Level 2

Folks

does QoS works even if you have cisco gear (routers and switches) but the VoIP is from a different vendor?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ther is "rate this post" link in the bottom right corner on all replies.

Chris

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Absolutely, QoS is not a Cisco invention but a standard. Cisco follows all latest recommadations in that regard.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

btmulgrew
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Cris, btw - it is unlikely you will be able to use any of the autoqos features (particularly on the lan) as these are specifically designed for Cisco IPT deployments.

Thanks

Brian

Correct as LAN QoS macros rely on CDP, however who uses Auto QoS :-)

Chris

thank you for the education

btw how do I rate all the replies ?

Ther is "rate this post" link in the bottom right corner on all replies.

Chris

why wouldnt you use AUTO QOS? BTW (Refering to purely CISCO IPT deployments)....im feeling a little bad as i use it :) Actually, you have me opening the QOS book i bought about a year now and have only read the first two pages ( i mean the intro) :)

In the past it was never tweaked properly, perhaps newer IOS version have addressed that, the best way is validate is compare the auto config with latest QoS SRND. One thing it does not do is un-trusted model with scavanger class, where you can mark and police susspected scavanger traffic,in order to do that you need to apply policy-map on the interfaces, but there is a limitation with having that command and trust ip-phone command on the same interface.

My recommandation is to create a good template that works and use it for all deployments.

Chris

jbarcena
Level 9
Level 9

We have many implementations using Cisco Routers and Switches, the PBX is Avaya and as a Service Provider we use Sonus and Nextone and everything interacts perfectly regarding QoS, so don't worry about that part.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"does QoS works even if you have cisco gear (routers and switches) but the VoIP is from a different vendor?"

It does, provided you can recognize the other vendor's VoIP traffic for what it is. It might require more effort to configure.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: