Views
Helpful
Replies

can not delete "ip host-routing" command from Switchconfig

joerg-hartmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have a WS-C3750G-12S with IOS Ver. 12.2(35)SE5, IPBASE.

In its config it has the command "ip host-routing" which i tried to delete several times without success.

A "no ip host-routing" command gives no error but it does not do what i think it should.

Does anybody know about this ?

regards

Joerg

4 Replies 4

itdsmartnet
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

you should reload your switch. it will solve your issue.

Thanks

nathanharper
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen this behavior too and know how to work around it, but was hoping for some clarification from Cisco or someone who knows more.  The earlier reply to reload the switch doesn't work if it is already part of the startup-config.  Curiously, even if there is no "ip host-routing" or "ip routing" in the config, if you issue the "no ip host-routing" command you'll actually get "ip host-routing" in your running-config!  I suppose if you reload the switch at this point, you'll go back to your startup-config.  Otherwise, issuing the "no ip host-routing" command will not generate an error and it will not remove "ip host-routing."  The work-around I found was to issue "ip routing" and then "no ip routing."  However, if you do this, you will get a "no ip route-cache" on all of the VLAN SVIs as well as the management interface.  On an older switch, 3560, I just had to issue "ip route-cache" on the VLAN SVIs.  On a newer switch, 9300, I had to additionally issue "ip route-cache cef."

Update:

The behavior of "no ip host-routing"  seems to depend on version IOS.  I tried this on a 3560 with ver:

Cisco IOS Software, C3560 Software (C3560-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(25)SEB2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 07-Jun-05 23:34 by yenanh

and the result was "ip routing" which you can then clear with "no ip routing."

On a 3560 with newer IOS (I don't have access to it right now but I remember it was dated 2017) it fails silently as decribed above.

On a 9300 with ver:

Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.08.01a
Cisco IOS Software [Fuji], Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT9K_IOSXE), Version 16.8.1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2018 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 03-Apr-18 18:49 by mcpre

it also fails silently as described above.

You seem to regard ip routing and ip host-routing as if they are related. That is not the case. Ip routing or no ip routing determines whether the switch operates as layer 2 or as layer 3. ip host-routing is quite different. 

ip host-routing was inserted into the config by IOS and is not anything you or the original poster put in. Unless there is a particular reason you want to change it I would suggest that you leave it alone. 

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

It's not there by default. I confirmed on several switches by returning
them effectively to out-of-box default factory configuration.

I'm not confused by difference between ip routing and ip host-routing.

With default config, neither "ip host-routing" or " ip routing" is part of
the config. Issuing "no ip host-routing" actually puts "ip host-routing"
into the running-config which doesn't make any sense in any case.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card