Views
Helpful
Replies

Measure Wireless Signal

kian_hong2000
Level 1
Level 1

I have this access point and i did a

"sh dot ass all-client" to that access point which display my signal "Very good". I find that the signals have this reading.

Signal Strength : -59 dBm

Signal to Noise : 41 dBm

Capability : WMM ShortHdr

1) How to tell from the first two lines that is the interference normal or is the signal display is consider good?

2)Is the Capability related to the wireless signal?

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Recommended siganl for data if you were to perform a site survey is 0 to -72dbm. For voice it is recommended to be between 0 and -65dbm. So your signal of -59dbm is good. SNR = the signal strength minus the noise. So it looks like the noise level is 100 which is good. Here is a link with SNR:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7920/5_0/english/design/guide/wrlapdxb.html#wp1009416

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks!

1) What is the prefer range for noise?

2) Normally, what type of signal you will look if it is good? is it SNR or 0 to -72dm range?

Firstly during you should never let the signal go below -72dBm. From experience, if you are going to use WEP / WPA or IP wireless phones you should never let the signal go below -65dBm.

Then you should look at the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio). That is the amount of signal you have above the noise. The higer the better.

Then lastly, whether you should choose range or throughput depends on what you need most. When configured for range the access point favours the slower bit rates, when throughput the access point favours higer bit rates.

Victor

Scott, an excellent explanation of an area that many people generally misunderstand at first.

5 points to you

-Eric

Thanks

Victor

Thanks..

One last questions, does it mean to say for this case:

Signal Strength : -59 dBm

Signal to Noise : 41 dBm

1) Anything that is above 0 for noise is generally good. For my case, my noise level is 100 ?

2)If you have a range of 0 to -72dBm, your SNR value will generally be high to produce these good dBm (-59 dBm) values ?

1) The readings indicate that your signal is 41dBm above noise. I'm not sure about this but I think that to have a decent signal your SNR should always be above 12dBm. The higher the value of your SNR the better quality of your signal.

2) Your signal range being 0 to -72dBm has nothing to do with your SNR. Your radio strength is one thing and your SNR is another. Radio strength measures the amount of radio signal you are receiving. The SNR measures the diference between the strength of your radio signal and the strength of your noise.

Victor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: