cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

disabling ringing volume adjustment (CM 4.1)

peter_lengyel
Level 1
Level 1

hi experts,

some of our collauges are prone to mute there deskphones, and they just wait for the call to be forwarded to the next person in the hunt group, hoping someone else would answer it. is there any way to disable the volume adjusting buttons, or set the ringing volume to a constant level? thanks in advance!

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Peter,

Here is a way of preventing specific users from changing the Ring Volume;

Users are unable to change the Ring Volume/ and Ring Type if you disable the Settings Access parameter on the Phone configuration page. Complete these steps:

From the Cisco CallManager Administration page, choose Device > Phone, and click the phone for which you want to prevent a ring type change.

Choose Disabled for the Settings Access parameter under the Product Specific Configuration section.

When Settings Access is enabled, you can change the phone network configuration, ring type, and volume on the phone. When you disable Settings Access, the Settings button is completely disabled and no options appear when you press the button. Also, you cannot adjust the **ringer volume or save any volume settings. The option Restricted is available in Cisco CallManager version 4.1(3) and later. When you change Settings Access to Restricted, you can only access User Preferences and volume settings. By default, Settings Access is enabled.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Peter,

Here is a way of preventing specific users from changing the Ring Volume;

Users are unable to change the Ring Volume/ and Ring Type if you disable the Settings Access parameter on the Phone configuration page. Complete these steps:

From the Cisco CallManager Administration page, choose Device > Phone, and click the phone for which you want to prevent a ring type change.

Choose Disabled for the Settings Access parameter under the Product Specific Configuration section.

When Settings Access is enabled, you can change the phone network configuration, ring type, and volume on the phone. When you disable Settings Access, the Settings button is completely disabled and no options appear when you press the button. Also, you cannot adjust the **ringer volume or save any volume settings. The option Restricted is available in Cisco CallManager version 4.1(3) and later. When you change Settings Access to Restricted, you can only access User Preferences and volume settings. By default, Settings Access is enabled.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

it is working great, thanks a lot! It triggers another question though: is there any way to apply the setting globally, along with a standard level of ring volume, or do we have to do this on all the phones, one by one?

Thanks again,

Peter

Hi Peter,

You are most welcome my friend :) There is no Enterprise/System Parameter for this setting. It can be set on the Template when using BAT to setup new IP Phones but once they have been installed you are down to one by one. You could use the BAT Export then re-insert the phones with the "Restricted" setting.

It is usually best to just set this on the "offenders" anyways and not punish the whole group.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hello friends,

Interesting topic.

And about CME, is there any option to accomplish the same need? (prevent user from changing ring volume)

Thank you in advance,

Met.

Hey Met,

Hope all is well!

There is a similar method for CME that may help;

settingsAccess {0 | 1 | 2}

Enables and disables the Settings button on an IP phone.

•0-Disabled.

•1-Enabled (default). The phone user can modify features by using the Settings menu.

•2-Restricted. The phone user is allowed to access User Preferences and volume settings only.

service phone

To modify the vendorConfig parameters in the configuration file, use the service phone command in telephony-service or ephone-template configuration mode. To disable a setting, use the no form of this command.

service phone parameter-name parameter-value

Router(config)# telephony-service

Router(config-telephony)# service phone

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/command/reference/cme_s1ht.html#wp1083963

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob, great one,

Thanks! (+5)

I'll test it tomorrow to see if it fits.

Putting settingsAccess in mode 0 will prevent user from changing ringtone volume too from the cursor key right?

Rgds,

Met.

Tried the feature and it works globally (in telephony-service)

If i:

- apply the feature to a ephone-template;

- apply this ephone-template to the phone;

- create cnf-files;

The vendor setting is not changed in the configuration file and the phone doesnt get the restriction.

Is this a bug?

(CME 4.1 12.4(15)T3)

Rgds,

Met.

Hi Met,

We don't have CME set up in the lab right now so I can't test this for you :(

Did you reset the phone in question as shown in these steps?

The following example shows how to disable the PC port on an individual IP phone (ephone 15) using an ephone template:

Router(config)# ephone-template 8

Router(config-ephone-template)# service phone pcPort 1

Router(config-ephone-template)# exit

Router(config)# ephone 15

Router(config-ephone)# ephone-template 8

Router(config-ephone)# exit

Router(config)# telephony-service

Router(config-telephony)# create cnf-files

Router(config-telephony)# exit

Router(config)# ephone 15

Router(config-ephone)# reset

This clip is an example from the doc I linked previously.

Let us know Met,

Rob

exactely.

that's the path.

It doesn't work.

The configuration file vendorconfig setting is not filled via ephone-template. Just via telephony-service!

:)

Hi Met,

If you get a chance could you build a new phone using that Template and see if it works then. I'm just curious whether or not these type of changes would be retroactive.

Thanks buddy!

Rob

Hi Rob

Is there any way to disable the mute button on a 7960/7940 IP phone. I need it becouse the callcenter agents in our company are muting their phone after they have already answered it. so that the customer disconnect the call and they get a new call soon and benifitted by increasing the number of calls serviced per day. Or,is there any way to prevent this fraud activity

Thank You

that is what i did Rob.

A new phone then changing the parameter on ephone-template(service phone settingsAccess or service phone pcPort) doesnt work. Just changing in the telephony service! :(

Anyway, I'll be back....

Tnx Rob!

Met.

Thanks Met! +5 points for this kind follow-up.

You rock!

Rob

Not working for TAC SE too.

I'll keep you posted.

Rgds,

Met.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: