Helpful
Replies

How manually assign a WLC to LWAAP

alig.norbert
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I have to redesign a Wireless environment:

There are two WLC4402 (50 AP's, Version 4.2.130) and 100 1424AP.

I need to assign manually the AP's to each WLC (primary, secondary Controller).

Here is my problem, I can set the IP's for the primary, secondary WLC, but after an AP reset, it still join the wrong one (in my cas the secondary). With "Master Controller enabled" I can manage to join the right WLC.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Norbert

8 Replies 8

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

un-check "Master Controller enabled"

The function "Master Controller" is only enabled during the joining from the AP.

yes, disable it and your APs should go to their primary assignments.

I have seen APs roll from one controller to another when a tech inadvertently enabled Master Controller

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Here is a good link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/controller/deployment/guide/dep.html#wp1050985

from the url above:

Another deployment strategy is to use the "Master Controller" option during the deployment phase. The idea is to have access points join a Master Controller as they are deployed and then have the administrator assign them a primary, secondary, and/or tertiary controller. This is also a good time to place the access points on WCS maps. Here are the basic recommendations for using the Master Controller option:

1. Deploy the WLCs in the network.

2. Create the mobility group for the WLCs and assign the controllers to the same mobility group (see the Advanced Deployment section for further help on this).

3. Select one of the WLCs to be the Master Controller and turn Master Controller Mode on for that controller. To turn Master Controller Mode on, login to the WLC and navigate to Controller | Master Controller Mode. Check the "Master Controller Mode" box and then click on the Apply button. Figure 5 shows the Master Controller Mode interface:

4. Implement a strategy to have the access points learn the Master Controller IP address during the LWAPP Discovery process. For example, configure the Master Controller's Management Interface IP address in the vendor specific Option 43 in the DHCP server.

5. Proceed with deploying the access points. Assuming that the access points have not previously been configured with a primary, secondary, and/or tertiary controller, the access points should join the Master Controller.

6. You may now assign these joined access points to the desired primary, secondary, and/or tertiary WLCs (see the Advanced Deployment section). This is also a good time to place the access points in maps in the WCS.

7. After completing your access point deployment, Cisco recommends that you turn Master Controller Mode off.

8. See # 7

grzegorz.ciolek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

"...I can set the IP's for the primary..." You have to set exactly controller name not IP. If you set Primary, Secondary or Tertiary (and they are live in mobility group) it has higher value than Master Controller.

Cheers

Greg

Are you sure you have space for the ap's you are moving onto the other WLC? You said you have 4402-50 (two) and 100 1242 ap's. If the WLC has 50 AP's, then the WLC will not accept any more AP's.

Verify your mobility group configuration is correct also.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

50 APs.. IF you are using either LAG or multiple ap-manager interfaces, otherwise some APs will be left out in the cold...

Hi all,

thanks for the reply.

The first wireless design was supposed for about 40 AP's (failover function).

Now the customer is in need for more coverage e.g., with keeping the WLC's. I'm aware (the customer as well), that there is no failover/backup anymore.

I'll try with the sysname (not ip) from the prefered controller on the Primary, Secondary or Tertiary settings.

Greets,

Norbert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card