Views
Helpful
Replies

Display of groups take a long time

Arne.Neumann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I define some groups under "CampusManager" and under "CS-Common Services" and assign some devices to each group.

Now I go to CommonServices-Device and Credentials-Device Summary. There I see the cs-group and the campus-group.

When I click on it, I see the devices.

But click on campus-group takes a very long time (may be 60 sec) - click on cs-group takes 2-4 sec - that's ok

In all groups are 5 devices defined.

Is there any idea why do it work so slow?

Can I do somthing to get better performance?

thanks Arne

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're going to Common Services to view Campus group membership, you are making remote procedure calls as opposed to invoking local methods, so display time is expected to be a bit longer.

The most obvious performance affecting factor is the complexity of the grouping rules. What rules have you defined in Campus? Additionally, if you have enabled CampusOGSServer debugging, this will drastically impact performance.

What rules have you defined in Campus? where can I see it?

enabled CampusOGSServer debugging - where can i see it?

all messages from Aug 07 and Aug 08 in CampusOGSServer.log:

(later messages Jun 27)

[ Thu Aug 07 14:32:29 CEST 2008 ]ERROR com.cisco.nm.xms.ogs.client.mgmt.OGSFormBean calculateParentGroupClassType Unable to obtain group class type for group: /Campus@sxcsw01p/User Defined Groups/PNW Muenster

[ Thu Aug 07 14:32:29 CEST 2008 ]ERROR com.cisco.nm.xms.ogs.client.mgmt.OGSFormBean calculateParentGroupClassType Cannot assign a class to an empty rule

[ Thu Aug 07 14:32:55 CEST 2008 ]ERROR com.cisco.nm.xms.ogs.client.mgmt.OGSFormBean calculateParentGroupClassType Unable to obtain group class type for group: /Campus@sxcsw01p/User Defined Groups/PNW Muenster

[ Thu Aug 07 14:32:55 CEST 2008 ]ERROR com.cisco.nm.xms.ogs.client.mgmt.OGSFormBean calculateParentGroupClassType Cannot assign a class to an empty rule

[ Fri Aug 08 9:44:33 CEST 2008 ]ERROR com.cisco.nm.xms.ogs.client.mgmt.OGSFormBean calculateParentGroupClassType Unable to obtain group class type for group: /Campus@sxcsw01p/User Defined Groups

[ Fri Aug 08 9:44:33 CEST 2008 ]ERROR com.cisco.nm.xms.ogs.client.mgmt.OGSFormBean calculateParentGroupClassType Cannot assign a

class to an empty rule

What rules have you defined in Campus?

there is only one include statement with all members because I've select the members to put them into the group

What are the rules you defined for PNW Muenster? If you click the Details button with this group selected in Group Administration, you can get the ruleset.

Hi

rule is:

Device.IP.Subnet equals "10.20.30.0"

another rule is an includelist:

INCLUDELIST {

#10.5.5.15

Device$520>

#10.5.5.16

Device$530>

#10.5.5.17

Device$545>

}

both groups are slow!

How many devices are being managed in Campus Manager? What version of Campus Manager?

version 5.0.2

I think there are about 500 devices

Go to Campus Manager > Reports > Report Generator, and select to run a Device Attributes Report. Expand the User Defined Groups folder, and expand one of the Campus Manager customized groups. Is this faster than doing it through Common Services?

Hi

I've now organized my groups - all cm-groups are deleted and all devices are in cs-groups (first action)

second, I've defined 2 new cm-groups for testing, but therewith are no performance problems (now).

I've to observe it and in case of more and more cm-groups I will test the perfomance continuously.

Hi, did you solved your problem ? I have the same behaviour and a lot of groups ! I would like to avoid to delete and to re-create all my groups ;) Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco