Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracking Unused Ports Time Frame/Advice

jeff.hardee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Does anyone know from experience what the time frame is for the Switch Port Usage Unused Up and Unused Down reports in Campus Manager's User Tracking feature?

I'm running Campus Manager 4.0.11 and I run a User Tracking major acquisition on a daily basis. The pdf for CM says that these reports show ports "which are not connected to any device or end host after the last User Tracking Acquisition". That seems to mean that when I run the report, I'm only seeing unused ports for about a day. However, there's also a Recently Down report that shows ports "which were earlier connected to a device or end host, but are not connected when the last User Tracking Acquisition was completed." When I compare the Recently Down report with any of the Unused reports, there isn't any overlap, making me think that the Unused reports are for a longer period of time. For example, let's assume that the Unused report only reflects one day's statistics. If I run an Unused report on Tuesday before the UT acquisition, then I would see the unused ports on a switch from the UT acquisition time on Monday until the time I ran the report. If Switch A had a port that was up on Sunday before the UT acquisition, then was down by Monday before the UT acquisition, then I should see that particular port show up on the Recently Down report as well as on the Unused report. The problem is I don't. Which leads me to believe that the Unused report is at least showing two days' statistics.

Therefore I'm wondering 1) what's the real time frame for the Unused reports and 2) how can I run an Unused report for a specific time period (e.g. unused ports in the last 9 days). I think the answer to #2 may be just to run regular reports and compare them, but I still need some guidance on #1 to know what the reasonable report frequency would be.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

2 Replies 2

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

FYI, the feature you're looking for in 2) is available in LMS 3.x, a paid upgrade.

Good to know, thanks. I'll be upgrading in a few months so that will be helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: