cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9124 Performance

bryceallard
Level 1
Level 1

I've been monitoring the performance of my MDS 9124 FC switch and have some concerns. The transmission rates are peaking at over 700 MB/s when the port is only rated at 400 MB/s on the 4Gb switch. Is this normal or does it indicate a problem?

6 Replies 6

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That doesn't sound right to me....on a single port, the through put should max at 400MB. You not looking at a port-channel by any chance are you? Sounds like it might be reporting a combination of 350MB ingress and 350MB egress.

bryceallard
Level 1
Level 1

Attached is an excel speadsheet with data collected from the Fabric Manager performance monitor.

sidbartle
Level 1
Level 1

Check to see if the counters are in 64bit, I have seen 32 bit counter wrap to graph the data and give readings like this.

From memory the mrtg cfg file needed to have something like this

Target[10.50.45.34_fc1_1]: #fc1/1:public@10.50.45.34:::::2

by default I the configuration file had

Target[10.50.45.34_fc1_1]: #fc1/1:public@10.50.45.34

I would suggest opening a case with Cisco TAC, or your MDS support provider and request it be investigated. I believe it's cosmetic...and I would use the command line to monitor the situation.

marsnow
Level 1
Level 1

Excluding FM out of the equation what performance do you see from CLI?

Use

sh int fcx/x count br

If this also shows 700MB/s then it is a SAN OS issue not FM.

sunyu
Level 1
Level 1

400MB/S is just a average value in 5min .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: