cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between floating static route and a weighted route?

deyster94
Level 5
Level 5

Can anyone explain or point me to some document that shows the difference between a floating static route and a weighted route? They seem kind of similar, but I would like to know the differences.

The reason I ask is I am going to a client that is having failover issues with the connectivity to remote sites.. They have MPLS with BGP for their primary connection to their remote sites. When it fails, it uses a site to site VPN to connect back. They are currently using weighted routes and when the site fails, it properly switches to the site to site VPN and uses the weighted route. However, when the MPLS comes back up, it does not switch back over to using the BGP. So, I want to know if they changed to using a floating static route if that would work better.

Thanks.

Dan

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

Before we can really provide good answers to your question I believe that we need to be clear about some terminology. I believe that floating static routes is a commonly used and pretty well understood term. But weighted route is not so clear to me. Can you clarify, or can your client clarify what is meant by weighted route? Perhaps they can supply parts of the configuration where weighted route is configured to help us understand it?

My guess is that weighted route will turn out to be the same thing as floating static.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I currently do not have any configs from the client. I am hoping to get something tomorrow and if not, I may be going in blind on monday.

And you are correct that what they are calling a weighted route is actually a floating static route. I will know more when I get their configs.

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: