cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS to AD Authentication (w/out adding users to ACS)

danieldiaz
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking to have our cisco vpn client users authenticate to AD. We don't want to add the users in ACS but still point our ASA > ACS > AD. I.e, we don't want to add a new employee into ACS but still permit him to VPN (ACS)in and auth against AD. I know we can point ASA to IAS directly and bypass ACS.

4 Replies 4

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

If you have acs using active directory database then user will always be in AD and not is acs.

ACS will do the authen lookup from AD.

VPN Client--->VPN Server---->ACS---->AD.

In this set up no need to add user in acs.

Regards,

~JG

Do rate helpful posts

Thank you. How does ACS distinguish between VPN users who can authenticate to AD versus the local ACS database? For example: I want VPN-Joe Smith to authenticate to AD, while I want VPN-John Doe to authenticate to local ACS database?

Look into the "Unknown User Policy" - ACS checks local database first, then follows the unknown user policy if the user doesn't exist locally.

For example - VPN-John Doe is an account in local ACS database and VPN-Joe Smith is an account in the (external) AD database.

Scenario 1: VPN-John Doe initiates a VPN connection - ACS challenges the user for username/password and looks locally, finds this user in its local database and authenticates or rejects the credentials supplied.

Scenario 2: VPN-Joe Smith initiates a VPN connection - ACS challenges the user for username/password and looks locally, does not find this account in its local database and follows the unknown user policy - if AD is your next defined external database, ACS will query AD for authentication or rejection.

Of course, that is a very simple explanation that leaves out per-user or per-group access restrictions that could differentiate between different users or different groups using NARs, Filters, etc.

HTH.

Thank you so much, this is of great help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: