Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

logging

i have a few pix 501's out there on my network!

i have whats up gold monitoring my uptime of my isp's and the outside ip's of the pix's.

is there any loggin that the pix does where i can see if my isp dropped connection!

i am not to sure if i trust whats up gold... because my isp's are telling me that they never lost connection. but whats up is telling me there down. any way i can confirm that from the pix logs?

any ideas?

5 Replies 5

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How can what's up gold check your public IPs while being placed 'inside' your network? Its not possible IMHO.

Do you want to check DNS reachability or just the status of the interface? Sometimes the ISP link physically remains UP but they loose connectivity with there upstream provider / or mess up with there on devices. So what exactly do you want to test?

Is there any router in front of the PIX?

Regards

Farrukh

i have the isp's modems in bridge mode so the pix supply's all the information. and the pix 501's have a vpn tunnel to the main network witch is a 506E

Hi,

You have mentioned that you are using "whats up gold " for monitoring..

Are you using SNMP for ICMP for polling data from the devices ?

One of our clients was using ICMP for polling with Whats Up Gold tool, and many a times recieved false alarms for devices showing down, whereas there was no downtime or interruption of services.

There are some options in the tool , wherein we can increase the poll intervals and also other parameters which may minimise the false alarms.

yes i am using whats up gold SNMP and ICPM polling.

and i would like to know about the loggs to see if whats up is reporting false data!

Well you could setup a second NMS (Like free Nagios) or a Trial version of Solarwinds to double check things.

Also if you have a router handy, you could configure IP SLA on it, to compare the results.

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card