cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

800 Series Router WAN Throughput

davidstrg99
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me which 800 series routers allow 20 Mbps throughput across the WAN port?

I have a cable modem that outputs this speed but am having difficulty finding a router that will accept this throughput across the WAN port.

Thanks.

21 Replies 21

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 871 and 881 have at least 32 Mbps firewall throughput. The WAN port is 10/100 so 20 Mbps throughput is no problem.

Hope that helps.

That's exactly the information I'm looking for.

Other 800 series also have 10/100 WAN ports but reportedly do not transfer more than 10 Mbps.

Thank you.

Hi !

The 800 Series only support 12,5 Mbps for Fast Switching.

For full list of Cisco routers performance check:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

--

Regards,

Raul

(please rate helpful posts)

Now I'm confused again.

Customer support told me that the 871 supports 30 Mbps VPN so shouldn't it at least support 30 Mbps non-VPN across the WAN port?

emm.. remember cisco say, the performance of laboratory tests..

The Perfomance of the Router

varies sharply according to different factors including the size of package and the kind of traffic..

From bottom of page http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps6200/prod_qas0900aecd8028a982.html

Performance

Q. What are the performance characteristics of the Cisco 870 Series and Cisco 850 Series Integrated Services Routers?

A. Aggregate performance with IPsec 3DES for the Cisco 870 Series is up to 8 Mbps with IMIX packets, and up to 30 Mbps with 1400-byte packets.

Aggregate performance with IPsec 3DES for the Cisco 850 Series is up to 4 Mbps with IMIX packets, and up to 8 Mbps with 1400-byte packets.

IMIX == Internet Mix Traffic.

--

Regards,

Raul

(please rate helpful posts)

As Raul notes, performance varies much, especially based on packet size. Large packets (best case) often quoted for impressive throughput. 64 byte packets usually the benchmark for (worst case). IMIX often the bencmark for (average case).

What packet size would you expect from a cable modem?

Often up to 1500 bytes, but the average size should be around 300 to 40 bytes, but with many packets both minimum and maximum sized.

Cameron Webster
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've found this area quite confusing and have seen conflicting information regarding router throughput.  From this document (http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf), the throughput on the 870 router is 12.8 Mbps.  I'm currently using my own 871w router as the WAN side connection on an unmanaged fibre connection (no firewall - just routing) and I'm seeing 50Mbps through it.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks

Cammy

the throughput on the 870 router is 12.8 Mbps.

The value stated on this PDF document is expressed in HALF duplex and without any encryption.  So if you want FULL duplex or with encryption then you halve the value.  If you want FULL duplex AND with FULL encryption then you take the full value and factor it by four.

Running my 871 with no encryption, full duplex 100 Mbps at both sides, I'm seeing at least 50Mbps (limited by the speed of the circuit), this is not a fraction of 12.8 Mbps

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Depends on your packet sizes and features being used.  For instance, Cisco says the 860 (same nominal performance as an 870) can push 197 Mbps for 1500 byte packets doing nothing but packet forwarding yet they recommend the 860 for WAN circuits up to only 4 Mbps.

I've attached a later Cisco document that better explains performance.

Thanks.  Presumably performance degradation when using encryption occurs on the router that is doing the encrypting, not on a router which is simply routing traffic?

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Or decryption or other services; otherwise correct.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco