cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CE500 Critical error

assalihin
Level 1
Level 1

I have several switches that report in their logs "Port FaX is blocked by Sapnning Tree Protocol".

When I run diagnostics, it says link OK!

Can anyone explain what's going please?

Thanks,

14 Replies 14

garytayl
Level 3
Level 3

Are you running IOS 12.2(25)FY on those switches? Any other errors being displayed?

Yes we are running 12.2(25)FY on the switches.

Here are the errors I have:

2-Critical Port Fa9: This port is blocked by Spanning Tree Protocol (STP). Aug 08, 2008 08:25:36

2-Critical Port Fa12: This port is blocked by Spanning Tree Protocol (STP). Aug 08, 2008 08:25:36

2-Critical Port Gi1: This port is blocked by Spanning Tree Protocol (STP). Aug 08, 2008 08:25:36

2-Critical Port Gi2: This port is blocked by Spanning Tree Protocol (STP). Aug 08, 2008 07:01:56

Thanks for your time,

Said

Said,

What is connected to those ports? Computers on the Fa ports and switches/routers on the Gig ports? If you are using smartport role "other" then you most change them for "Desktop" (Fa ones) and depending how the other ends are configure, on the Gig ports you should use "Switch" or "Router"

Let me know...

Said,

One thing I forgot to mention, if you are getting those errors at the moment the ports are going up after being down then are informational messages only and normal STP messages. You may want to clear the log and monitor.

I cleared the logs many times and they keep coming back.

What about the smartport settings and the type of devices attached to those ports

The gig ports are switches. I will get back to yo about the fa ones.

thanks

on the Fa ports only workstations.

Ok so what smartports are you using on fa and gig interfaces?

on the 24 ports: Fa are for workstations and Gig 1 & 2 are for switches.

On the 12 ports: 1 through 10 are for workstations and 11&12 are for Switches.

Ok so under Configure>Smartports you have:

24ports: Fa 1-24 selected as Desktop?

Gig 1-2 selected as Switch?

12ports: Fa 1-10 selected as Desktop?

Fa 1-11 selected as Switch?

Or are you using "other", "IP Phone + Desktop" or any other value. What I'm trying to confirm/discard is if you have anything misconfigured for the type of devices you are using...

24ports: Fa 1-24 selected as Desktop

Gig 1-2 selected as Switch

12ports: Fa 1-10 selected as Desktop

Fa 11-12 selected as Switch.

For my Linksys APs I choose "other"

99% of the time, those errors are related to misconfigurations. Assuming smartports were properly selected to work with other devices, computers and switches and errors are not generated when the link goes down and then back up, then these errors are either cause by a problem with that 12.2(25)FY software or by incompatibility issues with other devices or by reasons that must be investigated by TAC.

Thanks for your time Gary.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: