cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSID not showing

s-menezes
Level 1
Level 1

The company I work for has all its APs controlled by a WISM. I recently deployed an AP out to a WAN site and when the AP boots up, I am able to see on the WISM, able to ping from the WISM and vice-versa, able to ping the IP addresses of the SSID from the switch and vice-versa; however, my laptop is not able to see any SSID. The AP is connected to WS-3560-25TS. Where did I go wrong here?? I am confused. This should be no different than any other site, isn't it??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you broadcasting that ssid? Is the ap in local or h-reap mode? Also, are you using any AP Groups or have AP Groups Configured.

If the AP has joined the WLC, you should be able to see that ap on the gui or on the cli. If the ap is there, then click on the wireless tab then under radio, click on 802.11a/n or 802.11b/g/n and see if the radios are up. Also verify that that ap is enabled and not disabled.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you broadcasting that ssid? Is the ap in local or h-reap mode? Also, are you using any AP Groups or have AP Groups Configured.

If the AP has joined the WLC, you should be able to see that ap on the gui or on the cli. If the ap is there, then click on the wireless tab then under radio, click on 802.11a/n or 802.11b/g/n and see if the radios are up. Also verify that that ap is enabled and not disabled.

-Scott

Fella5:

Thank you for your response.

(1) The WISM has 3 SSID, 2 being broadcast and one its not. Out of the 3 I am only "seeing" the one that its not broadcasting. Its like I see 1 out of 3 SSIDs.

(2) I do not have any AP groups

(3) I can see the AP at the WISM, ping it, move it around to different WISMS in our network etc..

(4) Under the radio,802.11a/n and 802.11b/g/n, the radios are up and enable..

What can cause my laptop only to see 1 out 3 SSID?? Never seen this type of problem...

You didn't say which ver you are using, but I had a similar issue with 5.0.148.

When adding a WLAN, I found I needed to reboot the AP for it to start broadcasting it. Do an AP reboot - does it help?

Use version 4.1.185 or 5.1.x This solved several issues on WiSMs. 4.1.185 is the most stable.

Dennis:

All my WISMs are running ver 4.1.85.

Thanks...

Phill:

All my WISM uses ver 4.1.85. I have rebooted the AP and the switch, but problem still there. I will replace the switch next.

Thanks...

Scott:

I verify your suggestion and I went a step further by replacing the switch and the AP; however, I still have the same weird problem. Can you program an AP, connected to a controller, to block SSIDs??

Thanks...

do you have WLAN Override on ?

No...the WLAN was not being broadcasting.

You can configure the wlc to only have certain ssid's on it. that would be using the wlan override feature.

Delete the ssid from the wlc and create a total new one with no encryption at all and see if you can see it. Sometimes when you mess around with an ssid it gets corrupted and deleting it and recreating it can fix it.

Let me know

Post your show run-config or show running-config on one of your wlc that the ap is one so we can see if it is setup right.

-Scott

Scott:

When you first asked if I was broadcasting the WLAN, I checked the wrong controller. When I started to compare configs bt controllers I realized what was missing.

Thanks...

Well I guess everything is working okay now.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: