cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager RMON Bandwidth Configuration

dougnotini
Level 1
Level 1

I am running LMS 3.0 CM 5.0. Why is it that when I enable RMON through CM it only allows me to enable for Trunk Ports? Also, with the defaults are Bucket Size 10 Interval 300 Seconds. I understand I can modify these from the CLI, but I don't understand the interaction between CM and RMON in terms of BW Link Utilization. Does the switch send CM the data? Does CM query the switch during Data Collection? Given that I could also enable RMON through CiscoView and for any port at that I am confused about the interaction between CM and RMON for displaying BW Util in Visualization. Please explain.

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can enable RMON through Campus Manager for all link ports. Link ports are those which show up on the Topology Map. While this is typically trunk ports, it could be non-trunk ports that happen to connect to other Cisco devices.

The RMON visualization allows Campus Manager's Topology to highlight links in different colors based on traffic utilization on those links. Campus will poll the configured RMON collections on the devices during Data Collection to get this information.

The bandwidth filter settings can be further customized once you launch Topology Services. Go to Edit > Bandwidth Filter Settings, and you can adjust your thresholds and highlight colors.

The RMON collections configured by Campus Manager are different than those configured by CiscoView. CiscoView uses RMON for realtime reporting and fault generation (i.e. sending RMON syslogs or traps) where as Campus is using it to further document your network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: