cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to console WS-SVC-CMM module

sirivoravith
Level 1
Level 1

after upgrade i do have some problem and need to know status ,in the last question in forum there was mention about console on CMM module but after i have tried by use lan cable(striaght through) and serial converter,but nothing happen on Putty.

anyone have try this before? please suggest

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OK, after many hours of trial and error with various cables and adapters, I can confirm that the following procedure works:

1) Use a standard, Ethernet cable (straight-through, RJ-45 on each end).

2) Use a generic, DB-9 Female to RJ-45 Female adapter kit.

3) Configure the adapter pins as follows:

RJ-45 Pin 6 (Yellow) to DB-9 Pin 2

RJ-45 Pin 3 (Black) to DB-9 Pin 3

RJ-45 Pin 4 (Red) to DB-9 Pin 5

4) So that the cable can be connected to the console port on the CMM card, either remove the card in the 6500 slot directly above it, or remove a face plate (or module) from the front of the cmm card itself to create a passageway for the cable.

5) Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the RJ-45 connector closest to the (bus) connector edge of the card. On my card this connector was labled with a tiny "J4".

6) Connect the adapter and opposite end of the cable to a standard serial port with default parameters: 9600,N,8,1.

7) As long as the CMM card is up, you should get a response from the console.

8) To reset the password, you have to reboot the CMM module. To do this, log in to your 6500, enable, config t, then "power cycle module x" where x is the card slot# of the CMM card.

9) Watch the CMM console display. When you see [OK], enter the break sequence (ctl-break in hyperterminal).

10) At the rommon prompt, enter "confreg 0x2142". Then enter "reset" to reboot the CMM card.

11) When the card comes back up, enter NO to skip setup questions.

12) Enter "enable". **important** do not enter config t next...

13) Instead of config t, enter "configure memory" to copy the NVRAM into memory.

14) Now you can enter "config t"

15) To change the password enter "enable secret "

16) Finally, change the register values back to normal. Enter "config-register 0x2102"

If found this helpful, please rate:)

Good luck!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jbayuka
Level 5
Level 5

To console WS-SVC-CMM module:

Pull out the CMM from the Catalyst chassis.

Locate the console port on the CMM module.

There are 2 ports at the far end of the module. The console port is on the motherboard and you'd need to remove the module that is directly above it in the Catalyst chassis to run the cable. There are two RJ-45 ports on the motherboard; use the second one (towards the edge/end.

Console into the card using a "Straight" cable, not rollover cable.

Does anyone have the actual pinout for the CMM console port? A "straight-through" RJ-45 to DB-9 cable is not working for me. The standard (blue), flat console cables do not work either, nor does a null-modem cable.

None of the CMM module documentation appears to have this information.

Once I have this working I will post a schematic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

OK, after many hours of trial and error with various cables and adapters, I can confirm that the following procedure works:

1) Use a standard, Ethernet cable (straight-through, RJ-45 on each end).

2) Use a generic, DB-9 Female to RJ-45 Female adapter kit.

3) Configure the adapter pins as follows:

RJ-45 Pin 6 (Yellow) to DB-9 Pin 2

RJ-45 Pin 3 (Black) to DB-9 Pin 3

RJ-45 Pin 4 (Red) to DB-9 Pin 5

4) So that the cable can be connected to the console port on the CMM card, either remove the card in the 6500 slot directly above it, or remove a face plate (or module) from the front of the cmm card itself to create a passageway for the cable.

5) Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the RJ-45 connector closest to the (bus) connector edge of the card. On my card this connector was labled with a tiny "J4".

6) Connect the adapter and opposite end of the cable to a standard serial port with default parameters: 9600,N,8,1.

7) As long as the CMM card is up, you should get a response from the console.

8) To reset the password, you have to reboot the CMM module. To do this, log in to your 6500, enable, config t, then "power cycle module x" where x is the card slot# of the CMM card.

9) Watch the CMM console display. When you see [OK], enter the break sequence (ctl-break in hyperterminal).

10) At the rommon prompt, enter "confreg 0x2142". Then enter "reset" to reboot the CMM card.

11) When the card comes back up, enter NO to skip setup questions.

12) Enter "enable". **important** do not enter config t next...

13) Instead of config t, enter "configure memory" to copy the NVRAM into memory.

14) Now you can enter "config t"

15) To change the password enter "enable secret "

16) Finally, change the register values back to normal. Enter "config-register 0x2102"

If found this helpful, please rate:)

Good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: