cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch - Revision number

webstd.design
Level 1
Level 1

How switches assigns Revision number and what is it? How can I change this number? Also interested , where can I read about this number

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you mean the VTP revision number ?

Jon

yes

Okay, it used by VTP to keep track of the vlan database. So you have one of your switches as a VTP server and the rest are VTP clients. Assuming the VTP revision number is 0.

You add a new vlan on the VTP server switch and save the config. When you do this the VTP revision number is then incremented by 1 on the VTP server switch.

This VTP server switch then sends out a VTP update message to the other switches and these switches then check their revision number against the one in the VTP update message. The revision number in the update is 1 and the clients VTP revision number is 0 so they know they have received a message with a more up to date vlan database. So they update their own vlan database info based on the VTP message.

Each time a vlan is created/deleted/modfied on the VTP server the revision number is incremented on the VTP server.

Jon

And how I can be sure, that VTP client willn't become VTP server?

What useful commands can I use?

It won't become the VTP server unless you make it the VTP server ie. you would need to make the change yourself

switch(config)# vtp mode server

"sh vtp status" will show you the status of the switch.

One other thing. When adding a new switch to your network always make sure the revision number is 0 and that you have set the switch to be a VTP client (or transparent).

To ensure the revision number is 0 on the switch change the vtp mode to transparent and then back to client mode.

Jon

As I understood, I cann't see revision number by

default with some command?

You can see the configuration revision number with the following commands -

IOS based switch = "sh vtp status"

CatOS based switch = "sh vtp domain"

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card