cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

system:running-config missing on

mifitzgerald
Level 1
Level 1

We have a bunch of switches that are running fine but the running-config file is missing and we can't save the config to the tftp server. Anyone else seen this? IOS is c3550-ipbasek9-mz.122-37.SE1. I've got lots of these switches running the same code that are just fine.

8 Replies 8

froggy3132000
Level 3
Level 3

Just curious to know what the error looks like when you try to save to tftp. Also when you wr mem do you get an OK returned?

froggy3132000,

Here's some output. That last error about the file system caught my eye but I get that same error from other switches that are working fine.

TURNERST1-SW1#wri mem

Building configuration...

[OK]

TURNERST1-SW1#wri net

This command has been replaced by the command:

'copy system:/running-config '

Address or name of remote host []? 1.2.3.4

Destination filename [turnerst1-sw1-confg]? TURNERST1-SW1.txt

Write file tftp://1.2.3.4/TURNERST1-SW1.txt? [confirm]

%Error opening system:/running-config (No such file or directory) [Failed]

TURNERST1-SW1#dir system:

Directory of system:/

3 dr-x 0 memory

2 dr-x 0 vfiles

Error getting file system status (Bad file number)

TURNERST1-SW1#

Is that file created on the tftp server ? Looks normal for a file thats not created on the server and or permissions closed.

Glen,

Yes, the destination file name exists and read/write mode as required. It is the SOURCE file name it says is missing (system:running-config). When the destination doesn't exist or the permissions are incorrect, you get an error from the tftp server. Looking at other switches that are not having this problem show running-config as a file listed when you do a dir on the sytsem: partition. You would think that if I do a write memory, that file would be created if missing, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Mike

this is an old post, but the only mention of the problem I saw tonight.  I have the same issue.

cant tftp the running-config off of the router.  I believe it got started when I lost connectiong uploading a change via tftp.

On the offending switches I get the same results and errors:

3 dr-x 0 memory

2 dr-x 0 vfiles

on the ok switches I see the running-config listed as a file, but not on these.  I have 2 switches with the same issue, one of them was ok for a reload which resolved the issue.

However, the other switch is a core switch and cannot simply be reloaded.

I can copy running-config to the startup-config and then save the startup-config and that allows me to backup, make changes and the switch stays in operation.  Show running-configuration works.  I assume that these commands must use the in memory copy and the backup must get the physical file of it.  Somehow, as one makes changes, the running-config file must get updated, but its not.

Question is: is there a way to recreate this file without a reload?

Nick Critten
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am experiencing the exact same problem on 2 of our devices (3750G stacks) running 12.2(50)SE4

switch#copy running-config null:

%Error opening system:/running-config (No such file or directory)

switch#copy running-config runningbackup.txt

Destination filename [runningbackup.txt]?

%Error opening system:/running-config (No such file or directory)

switch#copy running-config startup-config

Destination filename [startup-config]?

Building configuration...

[OK]

switch#dir system:

2  -r--           0                      default-running-config

4  dr-x           0                      memory

3  dr-x           0                      vfiles

No space information available

switch#

switch#

Has anyone figured out what the problem is - or more importantly how it has been fixed?

Many thanks,

Nick

Hi,

I have something very similar happening on a pair of ASA's running in context mode on 8.2.1. All the contexts started to fail thier backups, and when trying to manually TFTP the config off you get the error:

"%Error opening system:/running-config (No such device)"

To remedy this on the ASA, Cisco's solution is to give it a reboot.

Not done the reboot yet as Sod's Law would have it the mate has died and needs to be replaced, although I don't think it is related.

Cheers

James

Sorry I should have updated the thread yesterday when I found the cause:

This is a known bug - CSCtg47738

Workaround is Reload - Fix is IOS upgrade to > 12.2.55SE

-----------------------------------------

CSCtg47738            Bug Details

3750,2960 - unable to save run-config in versions 12.2(44)SE1, SE2.
Symptom:
The following error message is seen on a number of 3750 series as well as 2960 series switches.
"%Error opening system:/running-config (No such file or directory) "

dir system:/ output doesnt show running-config file.

Conditions:
It happened sometimes after a failed copying configs/file to running-config.
Workaround:
Reload the switch

Status

Fixed

(Verified)

Severity

3 - moderate

Product

Cisco IOS software

1st Found-In

12.2(44)SE1

12.2(44)SE2

Fixed-In

12.2(55)SE

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: