cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does NVRAM get erased when a new image is loaded?

nappyjim9
Level 1
Level 1

Once I load a new image, I want to copy my current running config back. If I saved the running config to NVRAM, will it still be there after I install the new image? Or do I need to send it to a tftp?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It is always good to backup your config. You never know what would go wrong after an image upgrade :)

Check your config-register. If it is set to 0x2142, it will ignore the startup config. To answer your question, changing the image should not affect your startup config or your saved config.

Also try saving the running config to bootflash or flash drives that you might have in your switch/router.

Here is also a link on Software upgrade procedure if you are interested.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00801fc986.shtml

Some software upgrades might even ask you if you want to erase flash before copying, doing so might even erase your saved config on flash.

Please rate post, if this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

It is always good to backup your config. You never know what would go wrong after an image upgrade :)

Check your config-register. If it is set to 0x2142, it will ignore the startup config. To answer your question, changing the image should not affect your startup config or your saved config.

Also try saving the running config to bootflash or flash drives that you might have in your switch/router.

Here is also a link on Software upgrade procedure if you are interested.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00801fc986.shtml

Some software upgrades might even ask you if you want to erase flash before copying, doing so might even erase your saved config on flash.

Please rate post, if this helps.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

James

This is essentially the same question as answered in the other thread that you posted. If the config is saved into NVRAM and then a new image is loaded, then the config should still be in NVRAM and should still be available.

However it provides a measure of safety if you will copy the config file before the maintenance starts. During the upgrade sometimes unexpected things happen, and sometimes people make mistakes that might impact things. So it would be advisable (but not absolutely required) if you would use TFTP to make a copy of the config before the maintenance begins.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks both of you. Sorry for double posting, I just needed to make sure I got an answer before end of business today.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card