Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

H.323 Gateway Failover

I have a CUCM 6.0 and 2 ISR2811 acting as H.323 gateways in 2 different branch offices. I have configured a Route Group that with this 2 GWs. The goal is to redirect calls to a second gateway if all the ports in the first one are busy. It's notworking. POTS dial peers are configured in each GW for each dial pattern. I also tried DPs with preference like the folowing ones

dial-peer voice 7 pots

!First dial peer, if busy redirects call to dp 71

preference 1

destination-pattern 79........

port 0/1/1

prefix 9

!

dial-peer voice 71 voip

!Second dial peer, redirects call to second GW.

preference 2

redirect ip2ip

destination-pattern 79........

session target ipv4:10.0.0.1

codec g711alaw

it's not working. Can someone find the reason?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lagos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One option as already discussed is to use a dial-peer on the 1st router that points to the second in the event of failover.

There are also 2 CUCM service parameters that can effect how CUCM will hunt/failover with H323 route groups.

"Stop Routing on Out of Bandwidth Flag"

Default: True

"Stop Routing on User Busy Flag"

Setting these parameters to false will allow failover to a second route group member if the 1st cannot complete the call.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

ok try this idea

first in global config mode do the following command

voice service voip

allow-connections h323 to h323

this will let the gateway to route between h323 dialpeers so ur gatw1 will route the call to gateway two ip address[10.0.0.1]

for addition features

u can add the following command to restrect for example dial-peer 7 to a spefified number of calls

dial-peer voice 7 pots

max-conn [max number of calls]

but i sugesst u to add the allow h323 to h323 option as mention above and try it should be fine

by the way i am not sure about the effict of ur command [redirect ip2ip ] in dial-peer 71!!

NOTE: the default time for an h323 dial peer to time out and go to the second one is 15 second so the caller should wait 15 second to be redirected

if u want to decrease this time for example make it three seconds follow the following[ i tried it with voip dial peers but i didnt with pots just for ur information i put it]

voice class h323 1

h225 timeout tcp establish 3

dial-peer voice 7 pots

voice-class h323 1

good luck

please, if helpful rate

amacdonell
Level 1
Level 1

The reason your Route Group is not working is because they are H.323 gateways and not MGCP gateways. With MGCP, CUCM actually interfaces with the ISDN D channel directly, so it knows when the PRI/Pots line is full/Down. Now if that gateway becomes unreachable then it will switch over to the other device in your route group.

Now on to how to fix your problem.

1. Is there anything on 10.0.0.1's inbound dial-peer that would stop this Gateway's outbound dial-peer from being matched?

2. Are you seeing the outbound dial-peer being matched when the primary dial-peer is full/down?

Andrew the way JuanCarlos try to configure his gateways with is right and configurable 100%

only what he needs just to add the command i have mentioned above

now he even if he wants, he can remove the second gateway from the route group because the call will be forwarded from gateway one to two as a h323 VOIP call in case of the GW1 pstn line conjested or the line is down

thank you guys

and good luck for JuanCarlos

Marwan and Andrew, thanks a lot for your quick and accurate response.

I tried what you suggested and it works but there's no ringback and the call disconnects after 5 seconds. I'm checking the reason. If you have any suggestion please let me know. Thanks again!

i am happy the mainidea worked

about get disconnected

try to make the codec on the voip dialpeers as g711 !!

please rate the helpful post

and good luck

lagos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One option as already discussed is to use a dial-peer on the 1st router that points to the second in the event of failover.

There are also 2 CUCM service parameters that can effect how CUCM will hunt/failover with H323 route groups.

"Stop Routing on Out of Bandwidth Flag"

"Stop Routing on User Busy Flag"

Setting these parameters to false will allow failover to a second route group member if the 1st cannot complete the call.

Thanks Marwan, Andrew and Christopher for your help. It's working fine right now. The main issue was the flags mentioned by Christopher. As soon as I changed it started working. Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: