Views
Helpful
Replies

line protocol on Cisco 2811

egbetho
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

The line protocol on fastethernet 0/1 of my cisco 2811 refuses to come up. i have enabled the interface wit no shut. i don't know what could be wrong. however the line protocol of Fa0/0 of the same device comes up and is working with the same ethernet cable. i have tried making new cables, they always work with fa0/0 but not fa0/1, i have even replaced the IOS image still no solution. could it be a hardware problem? the show interface indicates interface is up but line protocol is down. help please.

5 Replies 5

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Could be a bad port in the 2811, or the thing you are connecting to at the other end of the cable could be bad, OR (I'll put a nickle on this one) ... you need a crossover cable.

If the thing you are connecting to is something else that would normally be connected to a switch (like the 2811 router), then you need a crossover.

Even if it's not, try one anyway, you have nothing to lose.

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks Scot have tried various method but did not work. used a cross cable also but it could not come up. fooled the interface with no keepalive command then it came up, i suspect a hardware problem. But am still waiting if i can get any help.

rkhalil
Level 1
Level 1

Check speed and duplex configuration of fastethernet0/1 interface.

--

Raul

have put the same duplex setting that is working on fa0/0 on it but no way out, maybe that interface is dead.

philip

Can you give us details of what is connected on FA0/1 and how it is connected? And it might also help if you would post interface configs.

Is it possible to (temporarily) move whatever is connected on FA0/1 to FA0/0? (perhaps move device and cable to FA0/0 and if it still does not work then put the device from FA0/1 onto the cable of FA0/0).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card