Views
Helpful
Replies

line protocol on Cisco 2811

egbetho
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

The line protocol on fastethernet 0/1 of my cisco 2811 refuses to come up. i have enabled the interface wit no shut. i don't know what could be wrong. however the line protocol of Fa0/0 of the same device comes up and is working with the same ethernet cable. i have tried making new cables, they always work with fa0/0 but not fa0/1, i have even replaced the IOS image still no solution. could it be a hardware problem? the show interface indicates interface is up but line protocol is down. help please.

5 Replies 5

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Could be a bad port in the 2811, or the thing you are connecting to at the other end of the cable could be bad, OR (I'll put a nickle on this one) ... you need a crossover cable.

If the thing you are connecting to is something else that would normally be connected to a switch (like the 2811 router), then you need a crossover.

Even if it's not, try one anyway, you have nothing to lose.

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks Scot have tried various method but did not work. used a cross cable also but it could not come up. fooled the interface with no keepalive command then it came up, i suspect a hardware problem. But am still waiting if i can get any help.

rkhalil
Level 1
Level 1

Check speed and duplex configuration of fastethernet0/1 interface.

--

Raul

have put the same duplex setting that is working on fa0/0 on it but no way out, maybe that interface is dead.

philip

Can you give us details of what is connected on FA0/1 and how it is connected? And it might also help if you would post interface configs.

Is it possible to (temporarily) move whatever is connected on FA0/1 to FA0/0? (perhaps move device and cable to FA0/0 and if it still does not work then put the device from FA0/1 onto the cable of FA0/0).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card