Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Quiestion

CSCO10758684
Level 1
Level 1

Hai,

Sorry if this is a basic question, I used to get confused regarding the BW issue. For Eg: if ISP link having BW 2 Mbps how would the download and upload happens. Can I download 2 mbps data and upload 2 mbps of data at a time. Tried to find out some tech notes but couldn't any one useful

Also what does 1:1, 1:2 etc means (if the BW is 2 Mbps) from Service provider end will they do any config in this case at ISP Router side..

Thanks in advance

Lijesh.N.c

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

When you say 2Mb 1:1, it means you have been dedicated full 2Mb (upload/dwonload) from the ISP

If it is 2Mb 1:4, at any given point of time you are assured of only 512k out of the 2Mb. The rest is shared but you can burst upto 2Mb when there is available bandwidth

HTH

Narayan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

gojericho0
Level 1
Level 1

What type of connection are you using to connect to your ISP?

Hai,

Thanks for the reply ..i am using Leased Line (2 Mbps 1:1)

Lijesh

When you say 2Mb 1:1, it means you have been dedicated full 2Mb (upload/dwonload) from the ISP

If it is 2Mb 1:4, at any given point of time you are assured of only 512k out of the 2Mb. The rest is shared but you can burst upto 2Mb when there is available bandwidth

HTH

Narayan

Hai Narayanan,

Thanks for the reply.Now the dout is cleared.One more qstn if customer asked for 2 Mb 1:4 ..from isp side wud there be any config change for this perticuler cusotmer (mean any rate limit ..etc )

Lijesh.N.C

Well i do not knwo the exact configuration that is done at the ISP side but they will configure it in a way that all times we have dedicated allocation of 512kbps to the internet.

It would similar to how we do QoS by assigning certain minimum bandwidth for one customer and sharing the rest with other customers

Narayan

Hai,

Thanks narayan ..i am tru ...now.... thanks a lot once again ...

Lijesh.N.C

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card