CCNA Exam, which approach to take?

Unanswered Question
Aug 11th, 2008

I took the version of the CCNA composite exam that was available prior to the current exam and failed it. Now the exam changed and I have read the Todd Lammle sybex book (sixth edition) cover to cover but never got to the point where I felt I was ready to take the exam and I am ready to try again. I am wondering it it would be better for me to take the two part ICND approach rather than try the composite exam again. Is there really any benefit to the ICND approach to this cert? What is the benefit to the two part exam approach? Is there anything that is not included on one exam vs the other so that the preparation is easier?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)

If you took the test and failed after April 15th 2008 then you can get a free exam with Vue by using the SECONDCHANCE registration code. It must be the same test you took and failed though.

Now that the test is 250 for the composite versus 125 for the two part test... there is no immediate need to take the composite if you feel you are not ready. Of course, ICND1 tests on more of the Layer 1 and Layer 2 concepts and ICND2 tests primarily on Layer 2 and Layer 3 concepts plus wireless. You will only know yourself if you are ready for the test or just trying for the two part exam.

Heck Ive been working in the field for 8+ years now and I am thinking of taking the two part test for brevity versus the combination. Even though I feel strong in both parts but I never know what or how Cisco will ask or phrase their questions. All I can do is take the tests from the CD of CiscoPress. Either way, good luck. One note, from a psychological perspective, after someone fails something, it is best for the person to take an easy test to pass to get the motivation up and the morale up in regards to proceeding for studies. Otherwise, if a person were to fail again... they are most likely to give up. Just like anything in life... put time into something and you will become good at it.

victoriabardy Tue, 08/12/2008 - 05:46

You really hit the nail on the head, from a psychological standpoint I think the two part exam is the way for me to go. This post really helped me a lot.

Thank you so much!

This Discussion