CCNA ICND part 2 question regarding STP

Unanswered Question

Hi,

I recently took the CCNA ICND part 2 test and failed. There is a question that I am really having trouble with. I'll describe the network diagram and then ask the question.

Recreate the diagram as follows:

1. Draw 3 switches across the bottom of the page. Label the switches A, B, and C.

2. Each switch has 2 hosts attached, labeled Vlan 10 and Vlan 20.

3. Switch A has a single link to Switch B.

4. Switch B has a single link to Switch C.

5. Draw a switch above Switch A and label it Switch D.

6. Draw a switch above Switch C and label it Switch E.

7. Switch D has a single link to Switch A and a single link to Switch C.

8. Switch E has a single link to Switch A and a single link to Switch C.

9. Switch D has a Server attached and labeled Vlan 10.

10. Switch E has a Server attached and labeled Vlan 20.

There are no mac addresses, port numbers, link types or costs shown. The only additional information given is that Switch E is the Root for all vlans.

The question is what path will a frame sent from the host attached to Switch A (Vlan 10) take to reach the server attached to Switch D (Vlan 10)?

The second question is which switch would you choose as the root for vlan 20 if you were designing the network?

It seems to me there are 2 correct answers given. (The path from Switch A to Switch D) or (the path from Switch A to Switch E to Switch C to Switch D). The answer will depend on which port Switch D chooses as its root port. Since Switch D will receive two equal cost paths to the root, how do you know which will be chosen without additional information?

As for the second question I know you are supposed to select a switch in the middle of the network (ie Switch B), but Switch E seems more logical.

Please, please help if you can.

Thanks,

Frustrated

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion