cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst Ws-C6500-L

frank.czech
Level 1
Level 1

We had new switches installed and when I tried to install a new module, the ports are orange. The person who installed them must have disabled something, since when I install the new module in an existing slot, the module works fine.

Can someone give me a hint where to look?

Thanks

Frank

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Frank,

try to use the following command

conf t

power enable module

this should provide power to the module in slot slot_number

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thank you for your reply. I did the config as you suggested and the module was already power enabled.

I checked one port and found:

gigabitethernet 7/1 administratively down, line protocol is down (disabled).

Any other hints?

Thanks again

Frank

Hello Franck,

sorry it was even easier ...

when you add a network module in a never used slot you need to enable the new module's ports with no shut on all the ports you want to use

do

int gi7/1

no sh

to get at least a L1 link

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you for the reply. One thing I forgot to mention is the module is not part of the default VLAN when installed.

I tried the no shutdown. The light are green when a computer is plugged in, but not seeing the network at all.

Frank

Hello Franck

in order to connect a PC and to provide ip connectivity:

you need to put the port in switchport mode and in an access vlan that has L3 services:

int gi7/1

no shut

>>switchport

switchport mode access

swtichport access vlan 130

Be aware in a C6500 default port config is to be a routed port (to have an ip address on it).

This is a different behaviour then other multilayer switches where the port is L2 by default.

you can check with:

sh int gi7/1 switchport

where 130 stays for an access vlan

or also vlan 1 can be used of course

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card