Enable Route-Cache to reduce CPU load

Answered Question
Aug 12th, 2008
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Dear all,

I heard, that I can enable "route-chache" or similar, to reduce the CPU load. Is this right? How should I configure it on a 3750G.

Thanks.

Sebastian

Correct Answer by mchin345 about 8 years 8 months ago

CEF is faster, less CPU-intensive and provides superior performance compared to other switching technologies, especially in networks with dynamic traffic patterns. It supports per-source-destination and per-packet load balancing. This is a major advantage over route-cache switching mechanisms like fast switching, where route caching needs to be disabled for per-packet load balancing to work. CEF support in Cisco IOS is version and platform dependent.

Overall Rating: 2 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
mchin345 Mon, 08/18/2008 - 07:53
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

CEF is faster, less CPU-intensive and provides superior performance compared to other switching technologies, especially in networks with dynamic traffic patterns. It supports per-source-destination and per-packet load balancing. This is a major advantage over route-cache switching mechanisms like fast switching, where route caching needs to be disabled for per-packet load balancing to work. CEF support in Cisco IOS is version and platform dependent.

Actions

This Discussion