Views
Helpful
Replies

IGMP and CGMP messages

ccnpninja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I read that there are IGMP Join, Leave and Query messages. However I read that CGMP has Join, Leave and Query messages too.

Are they the same? What's the difference?

thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

IGMP is the protocol used between end hosts and router to exchange multicast membership information.

IGMP join and leave messages are sent by end hosts to multicast router to join or leave any multicast stream and IGMP query message is sent by router on a specified interval to check for any member.

CGMP message is sent by router to switch to inform which mac addresses are part of a specific multicast mac address. CGMP only have join and leave messages.

CGMP messages will have User Source Address and Group Destination Address fields. If a CGMP join message is sent with say, USA as A.A.A and GDA as B.B.B, it conveys the switch that stream destinated to B.B.B should be forwarded to A.A.A and CGMP leave message to not forward the stream to specified USA.

HTH,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

IGMP is the protocol used between end hosts and router to exchange multicast membership information.

IGMP join and leave messages are sent by end hosts to multicast router to join or leave any multicast stream and IGMP query message is sent by router on a specified interval to check for any member.

CGMP message is sent by router to switch to inform which mac addresses are part of a specific multicast mac address. CGMP only have join and leave messages.

CGMP messages will have User Source Address and Group Destination Address fields. If a CGMP join message is sent with say, USA as A.A.A and GDA as B.B.B, it conveys the switch that stream destinated to B.B.B should be forwarded to A.A.A and CGMP leave message to not forward the stream to specified USA.

HTH,

Nagendra

Thanks Nagendra, it did helped me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco