cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM 4x licensing

singh-ashok
Level 1
Level 1

Any IP phone connecting to CCM 4x comes with it's own license which is inculded in the cost of the individual phone, correct? Are these licenses transferrable?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ashok,

In all cases your investment in Phone Licenses is protected and can be transferred when required.

With all CCM versions up until 5.x licensing is "honor based" there is "nothing" that has to be loaded on the CCM 3.x or 4.x server. Phones can be purchased with or without Licenses and can be transferred to a spare phone if required:)

Here is a good pre- CCM 5.x Q & A;

Q. Do I need a license for a Cisco IP Phone, and how does the licensing scheme work?

A. Customers of the Cisco CallManager software are required to purchase a CallManager Client Access License (CAL) for each IP phone, SoftPhone, or other endpoint device or application (IP phone) that registers with the CallManager software. This CAL requisite applies regardless of the source (Cisco or a third party) or the functionality of that IP phone.

Customers who purchase a spare IP phone need not purchase a CAL for that spare if that spare is used to replace another IP phone for which a CAL has already been paid.

Note: That spare phone is never registered with a Cisco CallManager until the phone that the spare replaces has been deregistered with that CallManager.

If the spare IP phone is not used as a replacement for an IP phone for which a CAL has already been paid, the customer must purchase a CAL for that spare. The Cisco CallManager CAL policy is that customers must purchase a matching number of IP phones and associated CALs, with the exception of spares that are used as replacements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml#q37

Here is the License info for CCM 5.x and beyond;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531ebb.html

Migrating from Cisco CallManager 4.0(x) to 5.0(x)

When you migrate from Cisco CallManager version 4.0(x) to 5.0(x), the licenses that are required for existing phones and existing Cisco CallManager nodes is calculated and an intermediate file (XML file) that contains these license counts will be generated during the Cisco CallManager migration process. These licenses are given free of cost because you are already using these phones for Cisco CallManager version 4.x. If you are provisioning new phones and nodes after migrating to Cisco CallManager 5.0(x), you need to paste the intermediate license file in the License Registration window on CCO.

Use the following procedure to register existing licenses and request for new licenses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 In Cisco CallManager Administration, choose System > Licensing > License File Upload.

The License File Upload window displays.

Step 2 Click View File. A pop-up window displays that has the license information for existing phones and nodes. Copy this information. To copy the contents on this windrow, you can use Ctrl-A (Select All) and Ctrl-C (Copy).

Step 3 On the License Registration window of CCO website, in the text box provided, paste the file contents using Ctrl-V.

Step 4 You must enter the MAC address of the Cisco CallManager server that you are requesting the licenses for, and a valid E-mail Id.

Step 5 To obtain the actual license file, click Submit. A license file is generated.

Step 6 You must upload the license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 4. See the "Uploading a License file" section in the Cisco CallManager Administration Guide. This node takes on the functionality of the license manager.

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

Hi Ashok,

Not a silly question at all my friend.

If you are adding many of the features listed below then there are some good savings in Licensing when using CUWL. The existing Licenses would be taken into account when migrating to CUWL, so the cost would be reduced the appropriate amount and your investment is not lost. We just had a nice Cisco presentation on CUWL and decided not to go that route due to the fact that some of the "feature sets" would not be rolled out here any time soon.

Q. What Cisco Unified Communications products are included in Unified Workspace Licensing?

A. Unified Workspace Licensing is available in two versions, Standard Edition and Professional Edition.

• Standard Edition includes a per-user license for the following: any model of Cisco IP phone, a Cisco Unity® or Cisco Unity Connection voice mailbox, a Cisco Unified Presence server, a Cisco Unified Mobility application, and a Unified Communications client (user's choice of Cisco IP Communicator, Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, or Cisco Unified Video Advantage).

** Professional Edition includes everything in Standard Edition plus support for an unlimited number of Cisco IP phones per user, one Cisco Unity unified messaging mailbox per user, one Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator per user, and Cisco Unified MeetingPlace or Unified MeetingPlace Express audio, video, and Web conferencing.

I'm not sure about the size of this deployment so be careful with this caveat;

"There is a minimum quantity of 250 licenses for all new Unified Workspace Licensing orders."

From this good Q&A doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6882/ps9156/prod_qas0900aecd806ccc43.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

This is one of things I was looking for this week !!!

:)

One more question about this....

I have already bought some phones with licenses... If I decide to buy more phones, but now without license, how it would be count ? I mean.. is there any way of counting licenses in CM 4.x ? So if I decide to upgrade to CM 6.x .. how can I know how many licenses were bought ?

Thanks.

Andrei.

10 Replies 10

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ashok,

In all cases your investment in Phone Licenses is protected and can be transferred when required.

With all CCM versions up until 5.x licensing is "honor based" there is "nothing" that has to be loaded on the CCM 3.x or 4.x server. Phones can be purchased with or without Licenses and can be transferred to a spare phone if required:)

Here is a good pre- CCM 5.x Q & A;

Q. Do I need a license for a Cisco IP Phone, and how does the licensing scheme work?

A. Customers of the Cisco CallManager software are required to purchase a CallManager Client Access License (CAL) for each IP phone, SoftPhone, or other endpoint device or application (IP phone) that registers with the CallManager software. This CAL requisite applies regardless of the source (Cisco or a third party) or the functionality of that IP phone.

Customers who purchase a spare IP phone need not purchase a CAL for that spare if that spare is used to replace another IP phone for which a CAL has already been paid.

Note: That spare phone is never registered with a Cisco CallManager until the phone that the spare replaces has been deregistered with that CallManager.

If the spare IP phone is not used as a replacement for an IP phone for which a CAL has already been paid, the customer must purchase a CAL for that spare. The Cisco CallManager CAL policy is that customers must purchase a matching number of IP phones and associated CALs, with the exception of spares that are used as replacements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml#q37

Here is the License info for CCM 5.x and beyond;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531ebb.html

Migrating from Cisco CallManager 4.0(x) to 5.0(x)

When you migrate from Cisco CallManager version 4.0(x) to 5.0(x), the licenses that are required for existing phones and existing Cisco CallManager nodes is calculated and an intermediate file (XML file) that contains these license counts will be generated during the Cisco CallManager migration process. These licenses are given free of cost because you are already using these phones for Cisco CallManager version 4.x. If you are provisioning new phones and nodes after migrating to Cisco CallManager 5.0(x), you need to paste the intermediate license file in the License Registration window on CCO.

Use the following procedure to register existing licenses and request for new licenses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 In Cisco CallManager Administration, choose System > Licensing > License File Upload.

The License File Upload window displays.

Step 2 Click View File. A pop-up window displays that has the license information for existing phones and nodes. Copy this information. To copy the contents on this windrow, you can use Ctrl-A (Select All) and Ctrl-C (Copy).

Step 3 On the License Registration window of CCO website, in the text box provided, paste the file contents using Ctrl-V.

Step 4 You must enter the MAC address of the Cisco CallManager server that you are requesting the licenses for, and a valid E-mail Id.

Step 5 To obtain the actual license file, click Submit. A license file is generated.

Step 6 You must upload the license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 4. See the "Uploading a License file" section in the Cisco CallManager Administration Guide. This node takes on the functionality of the license manager.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks a ton! This answers all my queries. Just one more question here - Suppose I purchase a new IP phone for which I have not purchased CAL ( assuming I am not aware of the licensing rules), will CCM 4x allow me to add the phone to the system?

Regards,

Ashok.

Hi Ashok,

You are most welcome my friend :) CCM Versions up to 5.x have no onboard licensing restrictions. You can add phones without licenses and CCM does not care. Of course, being the honest people we are this would never happen! But it is strictly "honor based".

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

One more silly question here - how does CUWL licensing make a difference compared to a normal CCM 4x license when you are migrating to CCM 5x? I thought that all existing licenses in CCM 4x were bundled together in one file free of cost when migrating to 5x. Is there anything that I have missed here ?

Regards,

Ashok.

Hi Ashok,

Not a silly question at all my friend.

If you are adding many of the features listed below then there are some good savings in Licensing when using CUWL. The existing Licenses would be taken into account when migrating to CUWL, so the cost would be reduced the appropriate amount and your investment is not lost. We just had a nice Cisco presentation on CUWL and decided not to go that route due to the fact that some of the "feature sets" would not be rolled out here any time soon.

Q. What Cisco Unified Communications products are included in Unified Workspace Licensing?

A. Unified Workspace Licensing is available in two versions, Standard Edition and Professional Edition.

• Standard Edition includes a per-user license for the following: any model of Cisco IP phone, a Cisco Unity® or Cisco Unity Connection voice mailbox, a Cisco Unified Presence server, a Cisco Unified Mobility application, and a Unified Communications client (user's choice of Cisco IP Communicator, Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, or Cisco Unified Video Advantage).

** Professional Edition includes everything in Standard Edition plus support for an unlimited number of Cisco IP phones per user, one Cisco Unity unified messaging mailbox per user, one Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator per user, and Cisco Unified MeetingPlace or Unified MeetingPlace Express audio, video, and Web conferencing.

I'm not sure about the size of this deployment so be careful with this caveat;

"There is a minimum quantity of 250 licenses for all new Unified Workspace Licensing orders."

From this good Q&A doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6882/ps9156/prod_qas0900aecd806ccc43.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

This is one of things I was looking for this week !!!

:)

One more question about this....

I have already bought some phones with licenses... If I decide to buy more phones, but now without license, how it would be count ? I mean.. is there any way of counting licenses in CM 4.x ? So if I decide to upgrade to CM 6.x .. how can I know how many licenses were bought ?

Thanks.

Andrei.

Hi Andrei,

Good question! As the pre CCM 5.x licensing is strictly paper/honor based we have to assume (I know :) that all IP Phones are properly licensed when migrating from 4.x to 6.x and creating the License file via DMA.

It is really only advisable to buy a small number of IP Phones without the proper license and only use them in a "one for one" tradeout when doing a repair/replace of a broken one that was properly licensed.

I'm sure that Cisco does audit these type of licensing changes from time to time by using prior PO# references and the like.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Andrei,

5 points to you from my side for raising a query which I missed!!

Regards,

Ashok.

Rob,

Thanks again. Take care & have a nice weekend.

Ashok...

Hi Ashok,

You are most welcome :)

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: