Views
Helpful
Replies

Avaya To Cisco Caller ID & Name

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Folks,

I am almost done with an Avaya S8400 and Cisco CallManager 5.1 integration using H.323 trunk. The only issue I have is the Caller ID & Name from Avaya to Cisco. The display shows "Unknown unmber". The Avaya users are able to see the Caller ID & Name for the calls from Cisco to Avaya but not in the reverse direction. The trace in the Avaya PBX shows the Name is going to be sent over the trunk but the Cisco IP Phone screen displays "Unknown". Is there anything that I missed in the configuration?

Thanks,

MK

14 Replies 14

Michael Owuor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi MK,

Is this a PRI trunk? If it is a PRI, are you able to collect the output of 'debug isdn q931' from the gateway while a call is placed from the Avaya to the CUCM? This will help us confirm that the information we expect is actually being delivered to the Cisco side.

Regards,

Michael.

It's a H.323 trunk.

MK,

Of the three different types of H.323 trunks available in your version of CUCM, which type was used when adding it in CUCM?

Regards,

Michael.

Just did this with CUCM 6.1 and a Avaya PBX with CLAN card. Had some of the same issues until the PBX guy read this doc on the changes needed on the PBX side. It's written for CCM 4.1, but it worked fine with 6.1. I also used a trunk, but the PDF is telling you to use a gateway. Make sure you use an MTP for the trunk.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/pbx/interop/notes/430317av.pdf

You also need a special feature on the Avaya side to get DTMF working. If you follow this guide everything should work. If it doesn't the trunk on the Avaya side may need to be torn down and rebuild per this doc. That's the experience I had.

Thanks for the reply. The only differecne in the trunk configuration was the "Supplementary Service Protocol". My config was "b" which was for QSIG. I changed it for "a" according to the documentation you sent me. Now I am waiting for someone in the other end to call me and test it. Also I didn't have the MTP for the trunk. The documentation I am using doen not recommand to check the MTP check box in the H.323 GW page. Will let you know.

Thanks again,

MK

As far as a MTP goes, as soon as I tried to transfer, hold, etc, the call would drop without the MTP there. Test those features before you decide not to enable a MTP.

Ok, changing the Supplementary Service Protocol from "B" to "A" resolved the issue but when I activate the MTP on the GW none of the softkeys work except "End Call" and when I uncheck the MTP check box the softkeys start working but the Avaya user can't here any muic on hold. The MOH works fine in the other direction. Cisco users can hear the MOH very well. I am using G.729 btw sites.

Are you sure you have an available MTP or Transcoder that is assigned when a call is placed? You have to make sure an MTP is assigned to a MRGL used by the trunk. The integration doc also says you need to enable inbound and outbound faststart on the gateway.

As soon as I check the MTP check box the softkeys on the phone stop working and when I uncheck the MTP box the softkeys work but the MOH and confernce don't work. In the Cisco side, we are not able to conference Avaya users but Avaya users are able to conference the Cisco users. Why the softkeys stop working with MTP? I have a Transcoder configured and they are both registered with the Subscriber.

jerome.lopez
Level 1
Level 1

I appreciate if you provide the CCM parameters. I am facing problem of integrating CCM6.1 with AVAYA S8XXX. From avaya incoming calls are possible but vice versa not happening

Have you resolved the issue btw CCM and Avaya?

jamiedoherty
Level 1
Level 1

I am experiencing the exact same issue.  I have brought the call into CUCM directly and through a 2800 gateway hoping to get more detail.  Caller ID from Cisco to Avaya passes perfectly, name and all.  Caller ID from Avaya to Cisco just passes the number.  I have followed so many guides, but nothing has solved the issue.  In an Avaya trace, I see the name supposedly going out but never see it in an h225 debug.  Did you ever find the root cause?

You never get name information? When the calls comes into CUCM you might see number only but when that call gets picked up you still do not see name information? I have a trunk built between Cisco and Avaya and all works normally. If you can post your configs I can go through mine and see if they match.

jim_mayfield
Level 1
Level 1

I had this same problem with my Cisco phones on CM 8.5 not displaying the name/internal extension when calling from Avaya to Cisco. My Avaya environment is CM 5.2.1. The Cisco white paper on configuring the H.323 trunk in the Avaya is incorrect. It says to leave the default of "6" when programming the "Trunk Parameters/Codeset to Send Display" on the trunk group form. I found an Avaya whitepaper that corrects this field to "0" that solved the caller name/number issue. Now my Cisco phones can see my name and extension, vs. just my 10-digit number after I changed this field from 6 to 0.

http://www.avaya.com/master-usa/en-us/resource/assets/applicationnotes/ip-trunk-cm.pdf

Check out page 7 of 19:

3.6. Configure IP Trunk Group

Use the command "add trunk-group 2" to create an H.323 IP trunk group on the S8700 Media Server. Most fields can be left to their defaults. Data has been entered in the fields shown in bold. Note that the trunk "Carrier Medium" is IP. The "Codeset to Send Display" field is set to "0" as shown on page 1. If this field is left at the default value of 6, the Cisco CallManager will not display the calling party name or connected party name sent in the Q.931 SETUP and CONNECT messages, respectively. When set to 0, the Cisco CallManager will display the calling party name on incoming calls from Avaya to Cisco telephones. Similarly, the Cisco CallManager will display the connected party name on Cisco telephones when calls from Cisco telephones to Avaya telephones are answered.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: