cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Variable Length Digit Input CVP

Chad Stachowicz
Level 6
Level 6

So basically I want to make something that says.

"if you have your account number please enter it now or if you don't have it press the * to continue".

Same thing on some of my menu's

"Welcome to blah blah, for 1 press 1, for 2 press 2, or if you know your parties 6 digit extension please Enter it now". What is the best way to accomplish this with CVP?

Chad

5 Replies 5

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

Chad, here's my 2 cents.

Resist the tempatation to do it that way. You don't get the automatic length checking and all the other good things that come from entering fixed length strings; and you can make CVP handoff to Unity handlers that do functions like dial by extension much better.

A lot of that crap came from a variety of proprietary PBX and voice mail systems. "Star" on one system means "continue" and means something else on another system.

Try to standardize along the lines of VXML.

Provide clear and unambiguous menus that have less than 5 options. Avoid the "... or stay on the line for customer service" option.

Something like ...

"If you know your 8 digit account number, press 1.

Otherwise, press 2".

If they choose 1, you can have a fixed length "get digits". Self checking and all that good stuff.

And then in another menu of yours ...

"For the auto-attendant, press 1.

For xx, press 2.

For yy, press 3."

Then in auto-attendant ...

"If you know your party's extension, press 1 (leads to a Unity dial by extension handler)

To dial by name, press 2.

To check your voice mail, press 3.

(2 leads to to the Unity dial by name handler. 3 leads to the Unity sign-in handler).

With type-ahead (a natural feature of the VXML standard) regular users will type 1-3 to check their voice mail.

I'd like to hear from other CVP designers. It's not that they can't be coded.

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

Have you ever tried writing a java class to to DBN from the CCM Database for CVP? Do you know how it worked in the UCCX IVR Script? I don't have Unity or any reason to turn up an IP IVR other then DBN. Trying to judge my options. Also I can work out the menu thing thats not difficult. Thats what I had been planning on doing anyways, I was trying to see if someone had something though. That's the reason we all use this board isn't it? ;)

Chad

Chad

No, and no.

I know you could work out the menu thing. So could I. I didn't mean to appear dogmatic - I was just offering my thoughts. I told you they were only worth 2 cents. ;-)

> That's the reason we all use this board isn't it? ;)

Indeed it is, Chad. As I said, I was interested in hearing from other developers who thought mixing a digit entry ("if you know your party's extension, you can dial it at any time") with a range of fixed menu options was a good Voice User Interface (VUI). All opinions welcome. Can you say why you think it's a good VUI?

PS - not having Unity in a comprehensive model (with CUCM) has to be unusual. If I may ask ... why no Unity?

Regards,

Geoff

I am currently working on a large service provider account who happens to offer their own hosted customer SIP Voicemail platform. Because of this they say how can we push our product if we don't use our product. Because it resides on the other side of the PSTN and I use Incoming SIP Trunks for the MWI, it has turned into a pretty complex solution. It was definatly fun figuring out all the translations. I wish we had unity though...

Chad

Hi all,

Is this achievable in CVP? Accepting variable length input at a particular menu. Other than advising/directing customers to move towards a fixed length concept, what other workarounds are possible?

Thanks!

-JT-

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: