Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 to 3560 connection

mlaporte
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm getting mixed results trying to get a 6509 to talk to a 3560 via 2 copper ports channeled together. Not sure how to explain this so the right question comes out.

We have a large number of vlans and vtp is setup and working. However, I cannot get one vlan to work right on the 3560.

I can get the 3560 to either work fine with just the one vlan (705) or it will work fine for every other vlan but the 705.

The two are connected via 2 gig copper connections. 2/45-46 on the 6509 and g0/1-2 on the 3560.

Taking all the info out of the equation above, can someone reply with the commands needed to do this connection like you had just bought the 3560 and plugged it in? From there I should be able to tell what I messed up.

thanks

Mike

4 Replies 4

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

for vlans

if its the client in the vtp

just

vtp domain [domain name]

vtp mode client

if it is server make it server

and then creat ur vlans

vlan 2

name vlan_2

then

for the trunk [ etherchannel]

interface range g0/1 - 2

switchport trunk encapulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 2 mode active

no shut

interface port-channel 2

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

no shut

and the config in the other side [ other switch] must be identical regarding the channeld interface and encapsulation and trunking

good luck

please, if helpful rate

Thanks for the reply, I have it running again, the only problem I have now is that I can't ping any devices on a particular vlan.

u mean u cant make a ping between devices withing a vlan or between two vlans?

either way

post here ur vlan configs and i will assist u to solve it

thanks for rating :)

Thanks for your help, I'm able to ping now and I think its mostly due to my inexperience with the vlan design here. They use vlans differently than I have in the past, I used them to cut portions of a chassis out for port density issues.

I've had to assign a single vlan to a port to get it to work :

interface GigabitEthernet0/11

description LFT Failover Manager

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 705

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree portfast

Somehow I thought that if you plugged a device into it with a hard coded ip and the vlan was known by the switch it would route properly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card