Views
Helpful
Replies

Second switch module 4ESW - VLAN performance issues

ukmailserver
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 3825 router running 12.3(11r)T1

It originally had a single 4ESW switch module inserted into it. The customer likes each VLAN to have its own interface for routing. The customer currently has 4 VLANs and required the addition of another VLAN. For other customers I would normally use a trunk from the core switch to the router and just add the additional VLAN but as this customer insists on a spearate physical port for each VLAN. They supplied another 4ESW module.

I added the second 4ESW and linked them together using a cable. I had to move one of their existing VLANs from the origianal 4ESW to the new 4ESW to free up a port to connect the two together.

The VLAN I moved to the new 4ESW had some servers on. (VLAN 999)

See config below showing the stacking partners defined on the two cards.

interface FastEthernet0/0/1

description stack link to f0/1/3

switchport stacking-partner interface

interface FastEthernet0/1/3

description stack link to f0/0/1

switchport stacking-partner interface

As soon as I moved VLAN 999 to the new 4ESW the customer began to complain about server file transfer performance from all VLANs to and from VLAN 999. I did some testing and proved that the data rate was about 1/10th of what is was when the server VLAN 999 was on the original 4ESW. I moved the VLAN back to the original 4ESW and the data transfer rate went back to its original rate.

Anyone got any ideas of why this would be occuring. I checked the physical and virtual interfaces and there were no errors or indications to why performance should be degrated.

Thanks

Barry

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Barry

Is there any chance that there is a duplex mismatch?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

No. I checked and they were both talking at 100 full duplux. I did hard configure them later to try and see if auto/auto was causing any problems. The interface statistics were showing no errors. This is the wierd thing about it. No errors anywhere.

Cheers

Barry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card