jeffersoncbriones Wed, 08/13/2008 - 18:08
User Badges:

Hi,

I have already mrtg and cacti. Im finding some realtime software, just to check an interface bandwidth realtime. Just to see the realtime traffic on certain interface.

4rmorris Thu, 08/14/2008 - 07:51
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

To get near real-time graphing for free, check out RRDTool. It's MRTG on steroids.

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/

Keep in mind that any SNMP based tool will not be real-time. RRDTool allows you to do updates in increments less than a minute though, so it's pretty close.

Regards,

Ryan

Giuseppe Larosa Fri, 08/15/2008 - 10:05
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello Ryan,

I think rrdtool started as the DB under MRTG because Oetiker is also the MRTG's father.

Nice to learn that now is a stand-alone tool

and of course real time and SNMP don't match but less then 1 minute is very close to

This Rancid looks like good.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

dave.keith Fri, 08/15/2008 - 12:14
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

I use a little product called GETIF for short-term SNMP monitoring. You can set the polling interval for graphing to a fairly short period, so you can see in near-real-time (average of the last 10 seconds rather than the average of the last 5 minutes). It is not meant for long term data collection as it stores nothing, just displays.

Dave

jeffersoncbriones Fri, 08/15/2008 - 17:34
User Badges:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tool. Im still finding a simple software where i can really check the interface bandwidth realtime. Maybe a java apps or any software will do.

Thanks a lot.

Actions

This Discussion