cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you reset the vty configurations

Brent Rockburn
Level 2
Level 2

I have a switch that is asking for a username and password and I already did a "no" on the login and password.. didn't seem to affect anything. Can someone tell me how to reset the vty parameters so I can telnet to the box. Thanks

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brent

The symptoms that you describe suggest that you have configured the switch with aaa new-model to support using an authentication server (perhaps ACS). When aaa new-model is configured the default on the vty becomes to prompt for username and password.

If it is the case that aaa new-model has been configured then there are at least 2 ways to resolve your issue. You can configure no aaa new-model and this will return the vty to their normal mode of operating and allow you to telnet. Or you can leave aaa new-model in place and then configure a login authentication that will include the vty and which will only use the line password, or will use no password at all.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks a lot that's what it was .. I feel like such a newb.. LOL

Brent

I am glad that my suggestion helped resolve your issue. Thank you for posting back to the forum to indicate that your issue was resolved and what the resolution was.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Did you decide to keep the AAA new-model so that you can login to vty? If so, can you post the answer?

Thanks.

Jill

Jill

If we knew what was already in your config and if we were more clear on what your requirements are (is it just telnet to vty, do you want the same actions on console as vty or different, do you want local authentication or authentication through an authentication server) we could give you better advice.

If you just want aaa new-model and to authenticate telnet with the line password then this should do:

aaa authentication login default line

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: