cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2950 and the command ip dhcp-server and ip helper-address x.x.x.x

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have external site that are connected via C2950 to my Core. On those site I have DHCP server that I want to remove. Can I use layer 2 switch to forward ip address? (I tough that NO, but after reading some post I'm not sure anymore!!!)

the only command available are like the one posted below. Can someone help me out.

Do I need to upgrade the ios to see the ip helper-address.

I'm running version:

c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA6.bin

Use the ip dhcp-server if you are setting up the switch to be used as a DHCP server.

On the VLAN interface, use "ip helper-address x.x.x.x" with the IP of the DHCP server.

Let me know if I'm incorrect here!

yanic

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yanic

You found the post where Tony was asking about using ip helper-address on a 2950. I initially thought that it could not be done on a layer 2 switch. Then I tested it on a 2950 running version 12.1(22)EA4 and found that the ip helper-address command is accepted in interface configuration mode. I know that the command is accepted but have not actually tested with a client and a DHCP server on a remove VLAN. Tony did test that and says that it does work.

The 2950 I tested on is running c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA4.bin

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

jaleelahmed.sd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Yanic,

Need more details to understand your requirement.

Is your external site have any L3 switch/router there? How does it connected to your core, through LAN or through any P2P link ?

L2 switch can be configured as DHCP server , but it can not forward dhcp requests to other network IP as it doesn't have the routing capability.

If you can provide more detials above the better solution can provide.

Rgds,

Jaleel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card