cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which TAR version to update Switches

cpremo
Level 1
Level 1

I'm realatively new to Switch Management. We have WS-C3750G-24TS-1U, WS-C3750-48TS, WS-C3750G-12S switches with the following OS version - "12.2(35)SE5-IP-BASE". I've looked at the download site to obtain the latest TAR file to update or switches and am confused.

Do I use the "c3750-ipbasek9-tar.122-44.SE2.tar" (IP BASE WITH WEB BASED DEV MGR) to update the switches?????

3 Replies 3

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

That should be the correct file.

The main confusion on switches is that you can use the tar file or the bin file.

The bin file only updates the IOS. The tar file also updates the web management screens. You could just copy the bin file just like you do a router if you don't care about the web stuff.

Now if there is any chance that someone may use the web interface to configure you switch you should use the tar file.

Thanks for the confirmation. I do use the WEB screens, so I'll use the TAR file.

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Chris,

You don't have to use the web based device manager. The bin file will work fine if you just want to upgrade the IOS. The tar file will be fine if you want the IOS plus the web based device manager. It is optional to install the manager.

HTH,

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card